We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

So its my first visit to Grand Cayman and I plan to spend 1 day doing a Resort Course Scuba Diving Class and a trip to Sting Ray City.

There seem to be tons of choices for both activities.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good dive school for a novice (translated never) diver for the resort course.

Same thing for Sting Ray City - Who runs a good tour

Bonus Question - What teh minimum age to visit Sting Ray City

Thnaks

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

We just returned from Grand Cayman yesterday and used Captain Marvin's for the Sting Ray City trip. We had a great time. The staff was great and really helped everybody with everything. There is an option to buy pictures they have taken of you as you play with the rays, kiss them, on your back etc. I don't know if they had a minimum age, my son is 8 and there was another boy who must have been about 5 or 6 with us. You also visit 2 other sites for snorkeling.

This was the best money we spent on the trip and everyone raved about it more than anything else we did!

Not a diver so can't help with that.

Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Captain Marvin's
Captain Marvin's
1,795 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

Where are you staying? if there is an in house dive op running a Resort Course do it with them. The diving is pretty much top notch across the board so go for the convenience. Everyone has a personal favorite but if they haven't tried all the others they cannot make an informed decision. There is no minimum age for either Stingray City 12 to 15 feet deep or The Sandbar 3 to 5 feet. No best op for that either. There are many different options, you need to figure out what appeals to you most N...multiple stops, go by jet ski, catamaran trip, etcetera. There are also options like breakfast with the rays when few boats are around. Once again where on the island you are staying should influence who you pick.

Mentioned in this post
Stingray City
Stingray City
5,945 Reviews
Grand Cayman
New York
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

I know we are staying on Seven Mile Beach. I think the Marriot but I know that part is being ironed out.

Hazlet, New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

This might be a dumb question....

Do your ears "pop" when you dive?

I was very close to signing up to try out diving at the Westin, however, when I snorkle and dive dovwn 10-12 feet or so, my ears kind of become uncomfortable with the pressure.

I ended up running out of time to do the course...and never got around to asking anyone the question. I think that is my only reservation about diving. Divers--can you offer an insight?

def wanna give it a try next trip!!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
575 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

I order to be able to dive you need to be able to "equalize" your ears - the usual technique is the "squeeze your nose and blow" technique. You most certainly do not wait for them to "pop". Most people can do this without a problem (and have probably done it when flying). If you can not do it due to medical reasons, then you should not dive, and the pressures involved could burst your ear-drums.

So if you can clear your ears on a plane, then you should be ok to dive, from that aspect of things.

Here is an article with more info: …about.com/od/divemedicinesafety/p/Ear-Equal…

Edited: 12 August 2014, 17:22
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

Divers are taught how to clear their ears. Some people have ears that are harder to clear than other so it takes a little more time. I have one "slow" ear. Perhaps on the Resort Course if you have really slow ears you did not have time to do, but that is not an issue for most people. Totally agree with Brit that you should not be waiting for them to "pop". The issue only really occurs around 12ft when you should be clearing, again around 30 feet and perhaps at 60ft (atmospheres of pressures) with the most dramatic if you have issues at around the 12 to 15ft mark. This is however probably not a question for a general tourist board and the best information will come from a dive instructor such as the one who would be leading your course. For the OP if you are staying at the Marriott, you can book your Resort Course at Red Sail Sports who has a watersports office right there. They also run several different types of trips to Stingray City and the Sandbar including Breakfast with the Rays and a new Sunset Trip (not sure when it is starting). You can google redsailsports.com and get some ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Red Sail Sports Grand Cayman
Red Sail Sports Grand...
1,302 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Stingray City
Stingray City
5,945 Reviews
Grand Cayman
hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

The popping you mention is probably the sound of your ears equalizing, though the discomfort clearly indicates that you didn't equalize enough. In case you read retrip's post as saying that you only need to equalize at 12, 30 and 60' that's not how you should be doing it.

You should be starting to equalize as soon as you leave the surface (or even right at the surface), and you should continue frequently as you descend. The moment you begin descending the pressure on the outside of your eardrum starts increasing, and the pressure continues to increase the deeper you go. If you descend a few feet without equalizing it becomes more difficult than it is at the surface, and the pressure from just a few feet of water can cause your eustachian tubes to become blocked, making it very difficult to equalize. If you do manage, the force required to overcome the blockage can result in damaging your ears from the inside. If you don't equalize and continue to descend the pressure from outside will result in damage. If you had made it to 12' without equalizing at all you'd probably have ruptured your eardrums, and certainly had discomfort that continued well beyond returning to the surface.

If you'd taken the resort course the instructor would have explained how to equalize before allowing you to descend. The "squeeze your nose and blow" method Brit mentions is probably the easiest and most common technique, though there are several other methods. Some of the others are better from a physiological perspective, but are harder for some people to do. As Brit also mentions, if you've flown you've used some method of equalizing that has worked for you, even if you weren't really aware of it. FWIW, the slow rate of pressure change while flying is what makes it come fairly naturally to most flyers, and is similar to what happens if you equalize early and often when diving.

There's a great article from the Divers Alert Network that describes the anatomy, the mechanics of increasing external pressure, and various equalization methods here:

https:/…DiversGuidetoEars.pdf

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

Sorry, I certainly did not mean to say you only need to equalize at certain depths, but rather that if you are not equalizing when you reach the next atmosphere you will certainly have popping or perhaps worse. You need to be cleared by the time you get there. . Some people including myself have to use various methods and I start from the second I hit the water. I also believe that not everyone can clear their ears in the water and that sometimes life events occur that change their ability. My sister in law flies for a living and can no long dive because of ear problems. For this and other reasons I don't think that a tourist forum is the correct place to give information especially since people who have not done a full certification probably have no idea what is being discussed anyway. However I am sorry if I was unclear in my wording that you only need to clear at certain times, that is not what I meant. It is a perfect example of how writing a short blurb does not take the place of having proper training by someone skilled in giving that training. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

I have only dove with one dive op on the island and that is Living the Dream Divers. Been out with them on both of my trips to Grand Cayman. They provide excellent service from pick up at your resort, diving, and driving you back to your resort. My daughter got certified with them 2 years ago and my son did the Discover Scuba Course with them. Their boats are big and they take small groups.

Have a great trip. We are already planning our trip for next year.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
10. Re: Resort Course Diving/Sting Ray City Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17