We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Thinking about heading back to Grand Cayman and would like advice on the condo situation on Seven Mile Beach. I've been to GC once before but we stayed at Rum Point. While I loved it there, I might like to try SMB this time and just drive to Rum Point when the snorkeling bug hits me.

It would be myself and my husband. We are 36 and 40 years old. We like someplace low-key. I'm not looking for the fanciest place. The Retreat at Rum Point was great for us last time. I was happy there except that I hated wasting time driving so I only came to the SMB area once and that was for a boat trip to see the sting rays.

I'd be looking for a 1 bedroom condo with a kitchen so we can eat most meals there. I'd like to keep the price at around $2000 for the week but would go up to $2500. I'm thinking late April like the 18-25 since thats school vacation time and I can send my kids to their grandparents house. I was thinking of the Cayman Reef resort. That looks right up our alley, but then I read that the area is not the best because of cruise ships, small beach, etc...

We'd probably rent a car. but it would be nice to be able to walk some places, like a bar for lunch or a small store.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Basically the condos and hotels maintain their beachfront facilities for paying guests, however certainly anyone can walk along the beach. The properties that are closer (southern end) to the cruise ship terminal have more day visitors walking down the beach . . . they find and spot and plop, however I often walk from the central section up passed the Marriott to the end and the only crowded parts are the Marriott and Royal Palms when the ships are in (a bit like Rum Point). The most expensive section of the 5 1/2 miles of SMB is the central section because it has the widest sandiest beachfront and there is plenty in walking distance (you don't need to rent a car). Perhaps you should look at the northern section. You are getting the rental car anyway (which you need there) but you get the best of both worlds. The days visitors don't usually walk that far! And the prices are less expensive than the central section. Have you looked at sites like caymanvacation.com, caydirect.com, cicondos.com, etc? It seems like it might be perfect for you :). Don't know when Easter is but prices come down immediately after Easter Sunday. It works a treat when the school holiday week falls the week after Easter! Overall most of SMB is totally laid back except in front of the hotels (in low season they can be quiet too). I have caught a dive boat for many years in front of the Beachsuites and come back at mid day and while there are lots of loungers most are empty. The RC is probably the most packed of the hotel beaches especially considering what a wide expanse they have, but the RC even in low season does enough corporate business, etc., to keep their occupancy pretty much at capacity. Hope this helps.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Your week in April is a great time of year as rates will just have come down that week. You should be able to get a 1 bed for about $1500 + 13% tax that week. I live at Cayman Reef and love the location because you don't need a car. Cruise shippers are at Royal Palms for about 3 hours mid day but they are kept away from the beach and loungers at Cayman Reef and I never find it to be a bother. Happy planning! You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

We love the north end of SMB. Having stayed at the Marriott and the Westin several times, we decided we just don't like hotels. Too many people for us. We like peace and quiet and and we are a DIY couple who don't mind cooking some of our meals. We have stayed a Discovery Point 3 times and even when all (or nearly all) units are occupied, we never had a problem finding loungers under a palapa after returning from our morning dives or feeling overrun by kids. We also loved that the balconies/porches are screened in. You are a short 5 minute drive to the central SMB area for all the restaurants and bars.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

You might also consider Beachsuites. Kitchenette with under counter frig, sink, coffee maker, microwave vs full kitchen but a good option for a couple. When it is just husband and I we opt to buy food items for breakfast/lunch/snacks/wine to enjoy in the unit or on the balcony...we get a full sit out balcony rather than tiny step out one. Most of our dinners are enjoyed at a restaurant (there are many within easy walking distance & a short taxi ride or drive to many others) but sometimes we chose to get take out and have that in the unit. Separate bedroom and living space with open kitchenette, dining table/chairs, sofa, etc.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Some places will lock off the second bedroom and give lower rates

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

I liked the London House. They aren't the fanciest but have daily maid service, accommodating management, beautiful grounds and outdoor grills. The beach is not crowded and has shade if you want it. It's a bit outside of all the happenings but you can hop on the bus for 2 CI.

7. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 14:36
8. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16