We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a villa/area.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a villa/area.

Planning a trip end of March 2015. We're looking to stay in a quiet area but within 15-20 minutes drive to restaurants for dinner. Three properties that interest me are Shellin on the East End, Crystal Cove on the south side of the east end, and No Big Ting near Rum Point. We'd like to spend much of our time hanging out and snorkeling at the house. There will be four adults and one 10-year-old.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Pam

Edited: 04 September 2014, 05:11
Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

I stayed close to No Big Ting last November and I think it could be a good match for you. Out front are two great snorkeling routes:

…tumblr.com/post/…rum-point-shore-drift-route and

…tumblr.com/post/…rum-point-barrier-reef

This is where I learned to snorkel years ago. Other nearby snorkeling sites can be found on Testudo’s guide: http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com

The beach in that area is not “pristine” but this means it can be a great source of “sea treasures” that wash up on the beach and into the pockets of ironshore. You will need to wear water shoes when entering and/or leaving the sea. Rum Point Beach is about ½ mile to the west.

For a list of activities in the area, look at:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2194940-s4/North-Sid…

Area restaurants include:

5-10 minutes:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2194940-s5/North-Sid…

15 to 20 minutes:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g1722406-East_En…

20-25 minutes:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g664458-Bodden_T…

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

The problem is that there are few restaurants on that side of the island. If a small number of restaurants is OK, you have many good choices for accommodations. If restaurants are really important to you (they are to me), the bulk of them are on the West side of the island.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

We stay on that side of the island and never head to SMB....there is enough to keep us happy. Just know that the large grocery stores are 35 minutes away.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

Thank you all for your help!

Caymanshelly, we will be flying out of Chicago. Do you have any tips for the best airlines, routes or possible charter flights (Apple or Funjet)? Also, any advice on how far ahead to book. We will be going the week before Easter.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

Fly Cayman Airways direct from O'Hare. They haven't announced their schedule yet (how stupid is that?) so keep checking back to the CAL web site.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

Although CAL has not yet published it's flight schedule for next spring, it appears that you can still book flights for that timeframe on their website (Sunday and/or Wednesday departures/arrivals from O'Hare): https://www.caymanairways.com

I have learned to book my flights as soon as possible if I want to get the least expensive rates.

Edited: 06 September 2014, 14:28
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

We book as soon as were allowed to book by the airlines . we used to always take American airlines and fly to Miami but the last several years we switched over to US air which connects in Charlotte and it doesn't leave as early in the morning as the American airlines did .we have never taken any of those other flights but we have taken caymanI air and if the dates are good for you that that's another great possibility

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

You ought look into Northern SMB conodos as well since they mostly offer nice sandy beachfronts, removed from busiest area of SMB yet just very short easy Drivng distance to grocery store and a multitude of restaurants of all types and price points. Some favs of TA members are Christopher Columbus, Discovery Point, London House.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

There are four excellent restaurants within 15-20 minutes of all three properties that interest you: Tukka, Lighthouse, Rum Point Restaurant and Kaibo Upstairs.

So if snorkeling is as important as dining, you can still dine well on the "Quiet Side" but you won't find comparable snorkeling on 7MB.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help choosing a villa/area.

True...if snorkeling trumps dining and driving more than a few minutes to shop for groceries, gifts, etc you will be pleased staying at East End or Rum Point :-)