We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
11 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

I was interested in taking the tour described on this site

http://www.caymansafari.com/adventures/ It is a land tour of the east side, but I haven't been able to find reviews on it. It is different than the regular jeep tour that I keep seeing. I will be in GC for a week and will be renting a car, just wondering if this tour is worth it or am I better off just exploring the island in the rental car.

THANKS

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

This is the first I've heard of the tour, so am interested to see your responses. We've done fine in the past on our own with the rental car.

I'll be down the first of August, and since heat index has been 105 during the day this week, don't think I'd do a Land Rover!

NJ
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

Summer thanks for the response and the head's up about the heat index. I will be there from the 8-15. The trip was recommended on the Cayman Activity Guide website. I was interested in taking the tour because it claims to be less "touristy," and it will be my first time on the island, but the lack of information on it makes me very wary. Not to mention it isn't cheap. Unless someone can give a spectacular review on that tour I think I will go with the just the rental.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

Unless you are getting to go off road, you will probably be more comfortable in your own car. For people not renting it sounds great. I would probably pick a water trip (boat ride, snorkeling, etc) in the summer months. One non water trip that offers alot of info about GC and is a lot of fun is the helicopter tour. That is very informative and definitely not "open air". You are in for a treat with 'Frenchie'!

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

If the outfit carries a rec from the CAG, that only means they pay to advertise, nothing more.

Pedro St. James

Botanic Park

Bodden Town Mission House

East End Light House Park

Wreck of the Ten Sails

Blow Holes

ALL of these places can be reached with your own rental car. A tour would be a total waste of money!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

And you could hit Rum Point, Kaibo, and what's commonly called starfish beach where you can look for the red starfish which are at the beach at the end of the road when you pass Kaibo restaurant. You'll never get lost--once you get out of georgetown, the number of main roads are very limited.

NJ
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

You are all so helpful and informative! Thank you so much. I have reserved a full day snorkeling trip with Captain Marvin and will visit the land tour locations in the rental car. I am staying at the Reef Resort and it is my understanding that several of the locations on the East End aren't very far from the resort. I am going to look into the helicopter tour. Thank you again, I am so excited!!!! :-)

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

We'll be there Aug. 1-8, so will just miss you!

We've done the Capt. Marvin's trip twice, Capt. Dexter's Fantasea once and this year are trying Moby Dick's tour. All have been great in the past-just like to try different ones. You'll LOVE Stingray City! It's one of those things that will be a lifelong favorite!

Some other snorkeling spots are Eden Rock and at Cracked Conch. These you can do on your own.

Restaurants we like are Calypso Grill, Casanova, cafe Med, Ragazzi, Chicken, Chicken, and Eats.

Have a great trip!

Caribbean
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

I have been on the Cayman Safari tour. It was one of the best Saturday's I have had in Cayman. The personal touch and Cayman treats and history you'd only have from a local person driving you around with a small group was great. Not having to drive or focus on directions was great. We didn't have to think about what next! We just did it! The history too of plants and their connection to how things have developed in Cayman was very interesting. Having done the big bus tours here, driving ourselves, stingray etc. this was truly new and unique and was well worth it. We actually found we were really relaxed at the end of the tour, we were almost sad when it was over. We just chilled the rest of the day talking about what we had seen and done. I'm looking forward to going again, and choosing another site on the Safari guide!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

Thank you Daisy!!! I had no idea that they gave such indepth info about plants, animals, etc., that are part of Cayman history. The buildings, etc., are easy to get info on, but you opened up a whole new idea about taking the tour!!! Thank again.

NJ
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone tried the Cayman Safari Adventure Tour?

Daisy,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. That is certainly the type of tour I would like to go on. I noticed you said that you are "looking forward to choosing another site on the safari guide" Does that mean you get to choose specific tours? It seemed as if there was only one tour on the website. Was that the specific company you went with?