We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to ask -

Chicago
Level Contributor
393 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
First time to ask -

We will be in Grand Cayman in January off a ship - it looks like there may be 5 ships in that day and I know that is significant. Any suggestions for our first trip to the Caymans? We like snorkeling - have our own gear but will be cruising for two weeks so will do that only if it promises to be awesome - not big shoppers - like history but not too much am not much into the activities designed for cruisers- we usually stay in a spot and wait for the cruisers to leave so this time we are on the other side. Any of your great insights would be great

Thanks - I love this site - I have learned so much from the folks here at Trip Advisor in the past and have saved us lots of headaches and lead us to some pretty neat experiences!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to ask -

Go an a snorkel tour to the Sting Ray City Dive site, not the Sand Bar site. You can snorkel with the rays and most tours usually stop at a barrier reef/coral garden site for additional great snorkeling.

If you want to go out on your own, Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto, Cheeseburger Reef, and the Wreck of the Cali are very good location right in Georgetown (I know if may seem strange to have such good snorkeling in the heart of town, but it is!).

Just search the forum, there are some recent snorkel posts you may find useful.

USA
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to ask -

Testudo,

Congratulations on your new DE status! It's well deserved.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to ask -

Yes, congratulations to you! A will deserved honor as your posts are always prompt, fair, helpful and informative!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to ask -

Thank you. Now I think I feel added pressure to try and respond without typos, well may be not.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to ask -

FINALLY another North Sider joins to ranks! Congrats.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to ask -

Testudo, since they took away the DE from under the names, I hadn't seen it, but congrats!! And something tells me your recent question and answer segments were noticed :) If you're not aware on the right side of the page there is a section that as a DE you can post these type things so people can see them quickly and in one area. It's like it was made for you!!! LOL

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
616 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to ask -

Testudo: Congratulations! Your DE status is well deserved - your posts are very informative and helpful!

bcirish: If you decide not to go on the trip to see the stingrays, since you mentioned interest in history you'd enjoy the Cayman Safari Adventure that will give you a fun and interesting "personalized" introduction to aspects of Cayman's history and culture. It's an open-air Land Rover safari with a very engaging Caymanian guide/driver. You can read more about the safari on their website

www.caymansafari.com

That website gives contact info including their toll-free number from the USA so you can give them a call.

A few other fun bits of history within just a short walk from the cruise terminal downtown:

... See the site of Fort George which is right in front of the (Royal Watler) Cruise Terminal downtown, next to the traffic lights. There is a descriptive plaque, some of the original stone walls, and a few restored iron cannons.

... Visit the Cayman Islands National Museum at #3 Church Street, also easy to get to and easy to find in that same area near the South Terminal downtown. There's a nominal admission fee for the museum, but it's worth a visit and it doesn't take a long time to go through it.

... Visit the 18th-century "step-well" in Bayshore Mall also on South Church Street just a bit past the the museum, that's the duty free mall with the stingray fountain located opposite the South Terminal and Atlantis Submarine. Admission is free. Turn in at the stingray fountain and look for a plaque on the wall near the bicycle rack in the courtyard, giving historical information on the step-well, which is located inside the Cayman Critters shop just a bit beyond the plaque. {By the way while you're in that shop here's an idea for a keepsake from Cayman to charm any "young ones" in your life: create a "Cayman Critter" which is a stuffed toy animal (e.g. stingray, turtle, shark, iguana, parrot, etc.) you make right there in a couple of minutes and get a "Born in Grand Cayman" birth certificate along with it!}

I hope these additional ideas are helpful!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to ask -

A few years ago, we cruised with my teenagers. We stopped in Ocho Rios, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We brought our own snorkeling gear and our goal was to snorkel in every port. I did the research to find the best places to snorkel and we had a great time. Two years later, we became certified divers and now dive in Grand Cayman every year. If you are cruising for two weeks, you should definately bring the snorkel gear as you will save lots of money and get the chance to see what each island offers - underwater!

Have a great time....

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to ask -

Always a big day when one becomes a Cayman Islands DE. Keep up the good work!.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
177 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to ask -

I also recxommend you bring your own snorkle gear.

If there are 5 ships, i'd walk the three minute walk to Eden Rock and decide if want to hop in there or keep walking to Don fosters Diving...ocean access is five minute more walk. If you walk ten more minutes (1/2 mile from George Town),,,be aware folks drive on the LEFT and walk facing traffic of course cautiously) is Sunset House for easy ocean access (and good oceanside bar for cool one after exploring reef)...1/2 mile further is Smith Cove, a popular snorkle spot far from the "crowds" with 2 sweet lil beaches for ocean access (the shore is hard ironshore).

If you do not want to walk back to town, the nice gals at Pure Art (near Smith Cove) will call for a cab.

Now, you cOULD pre-book a rental (now, if 5 cruise ships) car, and drive to Smith Cove, etc..

Hope this helps!!

PS: if you have not gone to Stingray City before, that is very special and I also recommend Sringray City, just because of croud at Sandbar area of stingrays if 5 boats! Stingray City is usually for divers, but is only in 15 feet of water, so excellent snorkled!

PS "Congrats" on Testudos DE status...well deserved!!!!!