We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

We will be in GC at the end of this month (1/27-1/31) and are looking for the best time to make our way to GT...I'd like to spend at least a couple hours there, and maybe eat dinner there on that same day at Margaritaville.

I was advised NOT to go when a cruise ship is there, however, I just checked the schedules on the website and it appears to be a ship in everyday. Looking at the schedule at the link below (with in mind we arrive around 3pm on 1/27 leaving out by 1pm on 1/31), when should we go??

www.caymanport.com/shipschedules_print_js.php

Thanks

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

Friday, the 29th, with only one ship is port would be your best bet.

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

thanks I kinda was thinking that, but wasn't sure since that ship doesn't leave till 6pm and I saw on Thursday where although they'll be 2 ships if it would be better to go then after they leave a 4pm...Should I try to wait till any of these ships leave or not even worry about it and just go anytime on friday?

Wednesday looks crazy! 4 ships w/ over 10,300 people in one day?? geez that sounds like a lot at one time! lol

thanks

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

If you are planning on shopping while in GT, keep in mind that many of the shops, especially smaller ones, close-up for the day once the cruisers have departed (restaurants remain open). So from a shopping perspective, being there with a single later departing ship may not be a bad idea.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

We went into GT 3 times during our stay and there were cruise ships in, one day there were 4 ships. It's not THAT crowded. Remember not everyone from the cruise ships go to GT, they go all over the island, from SMB, to Stingray City to Dolphin Discovery.

NC
Level Contributor
573 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

thank you all. looks like Friday will be the day! May go closer to 4-5ish since that last ship leaves at 6, and since i wanted to be around the area for dinner getting there at 4:00 should hopefully give us a couple hours of shopping before eating dinner

thanks again

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

I wish you a great trip. While Margaritaville is a raucous time while the ships are in port - at no time would I make it a 'must do' restaurant for food while in town. There are MANY other options for excellent food, and even at a better value. Unless of course, you're just a die hard parrot head, doing the whole experience. Just MHO.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

If the last ship leaves at 6, most likely people will be heading to the tenders between 4:30 and 5:00 so the stores probably will close around then. If you're a fast shopper you might be OK. But if it's the only day you plan on going into GT you might want to go earlier.

Maritimes
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

I agree, why go to an American restaurant when you could experience a local restaurant with authentic Cayman food.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

I can't speak for the OP but I, for one, do not like or eat the local foods and stick with the basics. Where and what we all choose to eat and what we enjoy is so subjective.

Maritimes
Level Contributor
319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Per this schedule, when would be the best time to hit GT?

So true, some people aren't as open to change as others.