We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Fees

California
14 posts
Save Topic
Baggage Fees

We are traveling to and from Grand Cayman Island this month using Continental and American Airlines with one connection each way. Are we likely to be charged baggage fees for our checked bags?

Thanks.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Fees

Best to check with the individual airline websites for the most accurate fees. Most US carriers permit 2 free checked bags for international flight segments.

Edited: 06 April 2010, 17:40
NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Fees

Looks like Continental allows 1 free bag to Carribean but I couldn't figure out if AA was 2 free or not. Also not sure how it's handled if you're on two different airlines in one direction.

continental.com/web/…checkbag.aspx

aa.com/i18n/…false

Edited: 06 April 2010, 19:12
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Fees

AA is 2 free to Cayman.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Fees

Does anyone know what the baggage fees are traveling to Cayman Island with Delta?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Fees

As of now, Delta's showing 2 free bags between US and Grand Cayman.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Fees

While Spirit isn't flying into GC, can't help but wonder if it's a sign of things to come for major airlines. They're going to start charging for carry-ons. Makes sense since probably 1/2 the passengers switched to carry-ons to avoid checking fees. I'd like to see the same enforcements for carry-ons as far as weight and size enforced that is done to checked bags. It takes forever to load up a plane anymore because of the excessive amount of carryons that are super-sized.

…msn.com/id/36193399/ns/travel-news/from/ET…

Edited: 07 April 2010, 04:34
suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Fees

We are flying via US Airways, and they don't charge for checked bags for int'l flights - *except* to the Caribbean.

Saw on the news this AM that Spirit Airways is going to start charging $35 for carry-ons that go in the overhead bin.

What I find *most* aggravating about this stuff is that it makes it so difficult to figure out the actual cost of a flight, especially if baggage info continues to change and is buried in the airline's website. Already we deal with taxes & fees that are almost as high as the posted fare, and now more costs tacked on. Just tell me how much it's going to cost me to get there and back!

Belgrade, Montana
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Fees

We had 2 freebies on Delta a couple of weeks ago.

REMEMBER to check your weight though on US side outbounds...they no longer have any leeway at the counter for the 50lb difference (at least when we flew out of LA.) My suggestion is to pack an empty duffle to be sure if you need to repack, you might find it's cheaper than over weight bag fees.

9. Re: Baggage Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 07:16