We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

We are budget-minded travelers, and obviously the touristy restaurants here don't match our mission.

We love street food, mom and pop restaurants, etc, for real local style food.

Any recommendations in and around George Town?

Thanks!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

You can look under the FAQ "What are the Local Food Specialties and Where can I find them?" on the right side of the web page for some ideas.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

I did a search on Cayman Good Taste for "George Town" and "local cuisine" and came up with this page:

caymangoodtaste.com/…

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

A few of my favorites are Seymours Jerk and Singh's Roti. If you get up to West Bay try Tim Buc Tuu, my new favorite of the three. Captains Bakery also has some really nice local stuff.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,810 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

You can get "reasonably" priced meals at Sunshine Suites (great fish tacos), Macabuca (conch sampler is great), My Bar at Sunset House, great Mexican at Agave, Tim Buk Tu great. Unlike many destinations the Cayman Islands are not a third world country, they don't have a farming culture, are very cosmopolitan and there are not many restaurants that I would deem touristy -- we eat out with friends some locals for years some Caymanian. You will also find the grocery stores have excellent salad bars etc., however, unless you want things like turtle or conch, almost everything including the jerk (Jamaica) is from somewhere else. Skip the turtle, you are taking it away from locals and try lionfish if you can find it.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
640 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

Here are three local restaurants in George Town that are fairly easy to find, and serve good local food at reasonable prices:

Champion House II on Eastern Avenue, near the Shedden Road junction.

Luz Restaurant on Smith Road, in Pasadora Place.

Mango Tree Restaurant, just off the roundabout by the airport runway where Shedden Road and Crewe Road and Dorcy Drive meet.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

The Old Goal Cafe and Coritas Copper Kettle are nice for local foods.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

Just came from Champion House II on Eastern Ave and I HIGHLY recommend it for good tasting, inexpensive local food. The lunch buffet is CI$10 and it has everything. Curried chicken, jerk chicken, two kinds of fish, conch fritters, roasted turkey, mac & cheese, peas & rice, steamed rice, cassava, fried plantain, cole slaw, caesar salad, bean salad, tossed salad, beets, two kinds of soup and so much more. Dessert was cassava cake, cornmeal cake with apples & cranberries. At dinner the price goes up to CI$12.50. We took the bus from the Westin for $2 per person.

8. Re: Cheap, authentic local food in Georgetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2012, 05:22