We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets

Habich
Level Contributor
870 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets

Hello! Are there any supermarkets right near the Cruise Terminal? or Drugstores? Looking for hair care and spices. Thank you!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets

The closest (and easiest to find) supermarket is Kirk. It is about 3/4 of a mile from the cruise terminal. When you come out, turn left on the main road and keep walking until you see Kirk signs. If you get to the Esso, you've gone too far. It is just before the Esso.

Habich
Level Contributor
870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets

Thank you!!! We want to do some Walking anyway!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets

So you're not planning on going to East End and the Botanical Gardens anymore? Are there specific products you're looking for? The spice section at the supermarket is virtually identical to what you'll find at any supermarket anywhere in the United States.

Mentioned in this post
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
United States
United States
North America
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets

smushie, I bring back spices with me. I often read how people say to take some spices in little bags with them. They don't know what they are missing. I don't buy the brands in the jars but rather anything I can find in little packets. I also love how many different flavorings they have as well. I add it my oatmeal on rotten days like today and imagine I am somewhere else :) Have to admit however that if I only had one day, it would not be walking to the supermarket!!! Haven't really found anything too different about the hair care, but while I am there mine usually has a good helping of salt unless the dive boat has a rinse hose.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets

Salt is the hair care product of choice on Grand Cayman.

B.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets

Did find the quest for hair care products a little unusual, unless the OP is hoping to find some brands not carried in the US? The spices wouldn't have surprised me if it were Grenada (the Spice Island) but I wasn't aware that GC has spices that are not of the normal bottled or tin-canned variety. While it is interesting to visit supermarkets in different locations (we usually do, mainly because we are buying for a condo or villa we are staying in), I too wouldn't make it a priority if I had just one day.

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets

About the only thing I pick up is Jamaican curry powder. If I lived near any major metro area, it wouldn't be an issue, but I have a brand preference and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Habich
Level Contributor
870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets

Oh!!! What a lovely discussion!!! I am very happy to have gotten you guys up and kicking. OK, I do have to out myself. I am a Bajan, who has studied Chemistry in the States, have been working and living in Germany for the last 40 years. I am now on Pension and doing THAT what pensioners do. Doin' what I want. At the time, it is cruising aroung the world. When I'm at home, I cook and cook and cook. Without spices??? No go. So. But the world is so large, that by the time I get back to a place like GC, things have changed. So, I call on TA. Thank you so much for your help. And smushie - yes! We will be doing the East End, just a little different than planned! Happy Thanksgiving. My Bird is in the oven. The sweet potatoe pie was made yesterday. And the beans and Rice are almost done. Halleluja!!!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
East End
East End
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets

Bean, you won't find the same as you on in the beautiful, lush country as B'dos, but you will find a variety of Carib, US, European and Asian. The yellow hot sauce is pretty good to (so far we like Ivy's but have only found it some of the street markets -- Ivy make it herself) but not as good as Bajan sauce. Have a lovely trip and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Edited: 28 November 2013, 13:26
Habich
Level Contributor
870 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarkets

thank you!!!