We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

long island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Thanks so much for all your posts.. it was really helpful in our planning our vacation.. So here's some of our thoughts..

Things we liked.. We stayed at the Marriott and I was concerned, having read some positive and negative comments.. Our stay was great. Resort was really nice.. beach was large and comfortable and this was during a very busy week. In fact it seemed larger than Hyatt. Staff was pleasant, attentive and took care of any problems promptly and restaurant, Solana, was one of our favorites.. Lovely harp player and delicious food. Even went to the Bucaneer's Feast, yes, it was a little hokey, but we had our son with us, and the Fire eater and the limbo dancing was fun.. Really enjoyed Neptune's and Pappagallo's as well. Best of all, long walks on Seven Mile Beach. We also enjoyed the Butterfly farm, you only need about an hour to visit, but guide was very informative and it was relaxing watching the butterflies flit around you.

Things we didn't like... I'm very glad we didn't stay at Hyatt.. no lobby to speak of and a rather small beach.. also resort next door must rent chairs to cruise lines so when cruise ships came in.. beach was overcrowded from there to beach where outdoor restaurant and beach where cruisers stay... Can't remember name.. Did notice several of the resorts in between actually hire guards to keep cruisers away from their resorts.. On one day, eight ships were in and people were all over.. some quite rude leaving beer bottles,etc behind.. Other thing we didn't like... Northwest (I think) winds that hit Saturday, Sunday and Monday... really stirred up the water and because we booked our trip to StingRay city via catamaran we were cancelled, as well as, the underwater explorer excursion.. Not that we minded, we sat on the beach while our son jumped the waves..

Lastly, we had a connecting flight through Miami and had to reclaim our luggage and recheck them and go through security once again.. be sure to leave enough time between connecting flights, this can take awhile...

Texas
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Thanks for the report lim0m! Glad you had a good trip! Also glad to hear good comments about the Marriott since that's where we'll be staying. Love hearing all the info I can get!

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

lim0,

Glad you had a good time.

Just to let you know about the Hyatt -- the main part of the Hyatt used to be across the street (it was beautiful with a gorgeous pool and grounds - huge area. There were rooms, a Regency Club, and villas). The Hyatt also owned the beach area and had a pool, restaurant, etc there. The rooms on the beach were just built a few years ago as was a walkway over the road between the 2 sections. Hurricane Ivan did major damage to the Hyatt. Since then, they rebuilt the beach rooms but have not yet rebuilt the main section. I have heard it is delayed because of a new road, etc -- who knows! Hope it gets rebuilt again.

long island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Not sure about them rebuilding.. Looks like there's a minature golf course and a restaurant there currently... One of our waiters at the Marriott told us that there are also plans to expand the Marriott.. Not sure how they would do this unless they utilize the abandoned property across the street and create a cross over like the Ritz Carlton. He also said plans include a bigger pool. He said, the property is now owned by Marriott (recent change) as opposed to being leased (???) by them. During our stay, planters in hallways were all refurbished with new plants (very pretty) and they were rewiring and adding lights outside.

Forgot to mention.... We did eat at Hemingway's and I was very disappointed... Food was just okay... beautiful place but service was also not great.. On their behalf, there was alot of confusion that night... we choose a table inside.. there was high winds and alot of people that originally opted for outside area changed their minds and waiters were scrambling to accomodate everyone. Food should have been excellent, regardless of all of this...

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

We have found Hemingways to be either very good or quite disappointing. Beautiful site if weather permits outdoor dining and one is seated oceanfront and not on the side of the building! Who knows what is in the future for former facilities of the main Hyatt! THAT was the first place we stayed at on GC back in the mid 1990's, before the beach suites were constructed, and we so enjoyed our experience and the ambiance that we immediately agreed we would return to GC the following year!

Interesting about Marriott expanding! With Camana Bay development moving along in that area of the island I tend to think Marriott expansion would be good for them and for visitors.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

I agree with lovecayman's experience with Hemingways. Years ago we didn't like it at all. The past couple of times we have eaten there it was great, with one exception. It is a shame they don't get it right all the time as the location is truly fantastic. We are keeping our fingers crossed about something finally happening at the Hyatt. I think it was the most beautiful resort (including the present Ritz Carlton) by far on GC. They have fixed up the golf course, got in a new pro and opened (or are opening) a new restaurant at the clubhouse. Everytime there is news from the Hyatt, we hope it will be about the main structure or the Ferry, so far, alas, only golf. It is too lovely a spot to just let go to waste. We can only keep hoping!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
179 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Yikes stripes! We are staying here for the first time in May! Your review made me feel great about the choice to stay at the Marriott! I am glad you had a great time. Then I go to the Marriott page here on Tripadvisor,and read a scathing review!!!!!! Sometimes I am not sure about reading ANY reviews!!! However,we are staying here regardless,and quite looking forward to it! Thanks for your comments!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Napatree, the Marriott is fine! Travellers have differing experiences and expectations & often let one disappointing aspect or one problem over shadow many pluses of a vacation.

For example, we love spending many hours reading on a quiet, big, sandy, uncrowded beach so never like to stay at a place where one has to fight for a chair and/or be elbow to elbow with others on the sand. Thus, the Marriott, while VERY nice, and a wonderful choice for most, would not work so well for us.

Some rank good snorkling & a wonderful restaurant right where they are staying a must... you get that at the Marriott along with it being very conveniently located to Georgetown and to a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, stores!

long island
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your stay.. the beach is lovely, not crowded, and the staff is attentive about getting drinks, food, etc. I really thought it was a very nice resort.. I've stayed at Ritz Carltons and the best resorts worldwide... In fact, we were scheduled to be at the Ritz Carlton.. but because we booked late, we would have been across the street,, courtview... when we realized this.. we decided to stay at the Marriott, on the beach, ocean view.. Again the area close to the Hyatt was very crowded with cruisers... I saw signs at the resort nearby claiming chairs for their guests.. Carnival guests and another cruise lines guests.. it made the beach from the Hyatt to about three resorts before the Marriott very crowded and littered... again one day there was eight cruise ships in town, another six.. weekend was very quiet.. You will love the Marriott.. Take some time to get a great book and a glass of wine and sit in the courtyard near the fountain with the turtles.. Great place to spend some quiet hours....

Casper, Wyoming
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

Thanks lim0m- We are going to the Grand Cayman Marriott for our honeymoon in June! The range of reviews that people give on here is almost scary. Hope we have as great of a time as you did!

Wash state
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Grand Cayman Marriott

How far from the airport in Georgetown is the Marriott?

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach