We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

CT
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

We were thinking of going to GC the end of January...we can use points at both The Marriott and Westin. We generally prefer Westins, however, I'm concerned about the very mixed reviews. We will be traveling with a 3 1/2 yr old and an infant (they travel well). Has anyone been to the Westin recently? Which hotel should we choose? This will be our first trip to GC...been going to St John for 5 years and just wanted a change. Please advise!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

The Westin is a beautiful resort and the beach is much wider and nicer there. Book it and your family will have a great time. Being a starwood's preferred guest, there is a good chance (if avalable) you'll be upgraded in your room category.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

I wouldn't worry about the mixed reviews. Guests arrive with different expectations and standards and no hotel will seem perfect to everyone. The Westin is a lovely property and the beach is much wider than the one at the Marriot. It is in a great location, you can walk to just about anything. There is a diner right across the street where your little ones will be welcome and you can save a lot on the cost of meals. Liquor and grocery store are nearby, as well.

Book your trip and have a wonderful time. Grand Cayman is a great vacation spot....a safe and friendly Island.

CT
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

That's great...thank you both for responding!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

We stayed at the Westin a few years ago and were very happy with it. At that time, I got 50% off our room for the entire stay for just 1,000 Starwood points. I booked the standard room that didn't face the pool, but was upgraded to one on the poolside at arrival at no cost. Definitely call Starwood and see what they offer. The beach at the Westin is the best part of Seven Mile Beach.

Eats restaurant is right across the street for inexpensive breakfasts. Food at the Westin was pricey, but so is all of Cayman.

Right next to the Westin are Plantana condos, which may be more suited to your needs with the children. There are many very nice condos in Cayman.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

The rooms are smaller than others. Many hotels get mixed reviews and are very nice.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

As of this week Marriott had virtually NO beach front...barely space for one row of loungers in front of the sea wall section and 2 rows (packed like sardines) on the other part. While Marriott never has a lot of sand space, have never seen so little in all the many years going to GC.

Overall, if I were you I'd definitely go for the Westin of those 2 options.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

Why is that? I mean..why this week is the beach skinnier than usual? Was there a storm recently? How about the rest of 7MB?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

The sand gets moved up and down with currents etc. Sometimes after storms, one hotel get their beach greatly enlarged to someone else's loss. We have a house on Long Island on the water and the same thing happens there. It is really nothing to worry about.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

rest of SMB just like it always is:) due to the topography southern most section always has the least beach front and seems to be most affected by any weather, even fairly minor, than central or northern areas. when we there from 11/7 -11/12 took our twice daily long walks on SMB. From directly in front of Regal Beach southward the lack of beach was as severe as I have ever seen it.

Centereach, New York
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerned about Westin Mixed Reviews

We stayed at the WGC last year and thought it was great. Great beach, nice service & close to many restaurants. Would recommend it highly.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach