We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding on GC

New Hampshire
5 posts
Save Topic
Destination Wedding on GC

I am planning a destination wedding for 2009 and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for GC. I would appreciate any and all responses!

Thanks so much!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,904 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

there are lots of posts regarding weddings on Grand Cayman...do a search on this site & you'll access several recent ones.

My vote, hands down, would be Grand Old House.

Colorado
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

Just saw your post. Our daughter is getting married at The Reef Resort on May 22 of this year. so far, we have worked with Linda Locke there. Also, I have lots of information on the cost of reception stuff (tents, decor, etc.) So far I have found it MUCH cheaper to do as much as you can yourself. If cost is no problem, then you can hire many different wedding planners there. By now you have probably found many of them on the internet. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

Atlanta, Ga; New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

I'm going to a destination wedding April 26th. We're all staying at the Reef, but the wedding is at The Wharf. I'll let you know how it was.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

I was a wedding held on SMB in front of the Beachsuites at sunset in December. It was absolutely beautiful (happily for them the weather cooperated!) They are locals so did haven't a planner etc., but it was truly lovely! Congratulations!

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

Will be getting married there in three weeks on SMB. Will post about it when we get back.

The counting down and final preps are killing me! LOL

Atlanta, Ga; New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

Just back from a wedding in the Caymans. We all stayed at the Reef and it was great. The rehearsal dinner was a barbeque on the beach and it was amazing. The food was awesome. We were set up right on the beach and there were white lights everywhere. It was breezy and very comfortable. The wedding was at the Wharf. Although very beautiful it was really, really hot. No breeze whatsoever. Actually uncomfortably hot. The food was very disappointing. I do know there are many menus to choose from and maybe this was not their best. Anyway, I really enjoyed the barbeque over the wedding. Good luck!!!!!

Atlanta, Ga; New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

IMHO - I've been to many islands and actually found Grand Cayman to be so-so. It's really a diver's paradise, but if you don't dive there are some many prettier islands out there. I prefer the BVI's and the Bahamas - Abaco/Hopetown/Elbow Cay over the Caymans. Also Bermuda is gorgeous. As far as destination weddings - Cayman would not be my first choice.

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

Just got back from our destination wedding and it was beautiful!!! Drop me a line if you want to ask me anything about it. We did ours on the beach where we were staying - Lacovia. Happy with the planner, happy with the wedding, happy with the location, just happy :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

Our daughter was married at The Reef Resort on the east end of Grand Cayman on May 22nd. The staff at The Reef were incredibly helpful and the wedding was beautiful. We had 47 people in attendance, and had a great Caribbean Buffet after the ceremony. Our daughter's wedding was probably considered "budget" by Cayman standards, as we did not use a wedding planner from on the island, and there are many. You can have a beautiful service simply, or an elaborate and expensive one, you decide.

The East End of Grand Cayman is quiet and peaceful, BUT, it is about 45 minutes from Georgetown. If you have to or want to make trips into town, it seems to take a long time. About 3/4 of the guests stayed at the Sea Cliff Resort on Frank Sound. The beach there is nothing to be proud of, but at least it was about 15 minutes closer to town, and 15 minutes from The Reef. If you want peaceful, choose the East End, if you want convenience, choose in town. I did not visit the Grand Old House while we were there, so I can't speak to that. Other folks choose the Botanical Gardens also as a wedding spot.

The snorkeling on 7 mile beach is the best, especially up by Cemetery Beach on the north end. Diving is wonderful, and there are some good (and pricey) restaurants. I would not choose Cayman for a vaction spot, as I prefer the Virgin Islands. They are much smaller and more beautiful above ground.

I wish you a wonderful time and good luck in all the planning!

Level Contributor
79 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destination Wedding on GC

We are leaving in two weeks to go to a cousin's wedding at the Ritz. I have never been to a destination wedding...it should be a blast. I will take lots of photos! Let me know if you want more information...I can post a review.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations