We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman in August?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Cayman in August?

Has anyone been to Grand Cayman in mid/late August? Looking for a special place to celebrate a big birthday. I'm seriously considering the Ritz-Carlton, but am wary because it's hurricane season. Thanks!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,888 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

We vacationed in Cayman in August eleven years in a row and fortunately never experienced a hurricane. They typically ( if there is anything typical about a hurricane) stir up in September and October.

We found the August weather to be hot and humid during the day hours, more tolerable in the evening. Some days there would be an intense but brief rain shower but our vacation was never rained-out. We visit in September now but only due to personal preference, not at all due to the August weather.

Look into some type of Hurricane protection for your trip if you are really unsure.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

Thank you Kiddos!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

Been there in July and August and there's no getting around it---it's HOT! However, we love the heat, so don't mind. This year, we're going in June for a change.

Summer

Europe
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

July and August are without doubt the most hot and humid times to visit. I was working there in those months and it was impossible to walk more than 10 minutes at lunchtime without being dripping in sweat. Although, I am sure it would have been different had I been on the beach or swimming up to the cocktail bar in my hotel!!

The Ritz Carlton is lovely, the sunday brunch superb, but it does attract a certain type of 'snobby' traveller. If that is your thing then great. The Marriot and the Hyatt are very good too. Personally I think the RC is a very ugly building...but you will be looked after there.

I was in GC for Hurrican Dean last year and stayed, although tourists had to be evacuated. Truth is, a hurricane or bad storm can hit at any time in the Caymans so you are never really safe. Please take confidence in the fact that if a storm does hit you will be evacuated and made safe, no question.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

Honeymooned there in August. Could not have been better weather. No rain for the entire two weeks we were there and HOT, HOT HOT!!! We loved it. Go and enjoy and don't worry about hurricanes. If for some odd reason there was one you would have plenty of advance notice to get off the island.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

Coming from NY, we don't find the temps any worse than here and it is totally bearable when you are on a beach or have a nice tropical breeze. If you are not used to hot summer weather, it probably would be harder to get used to (my English family found it hot). Have been in Cayman when Emily scooted by and leaving right before Dean (we were scheduled to leave then anyway) I would say be smart and listen to official advice, but not scared. The hurricane information on the island is totally up to date, everyone is kept in the loop and and tourists are removed quickly (and although things can be chaotic with the numbers leaving through a small airport in a short time), the response was unbelievable and those working at the airport were truly wonderful. We use Cayman Airways and they had planes flying round the clock -- no worries! I agree with the description etc of the RC, however, to a newcomer, it probably looks like the biggest, newest thing in town! Many of the old timers don't see it that way preferring the beauty of the beach -- to each their own!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

I appreciate everyone's input--thanks!

8. Re: Grand Cayman in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach