We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

We are considering a trip to GC this summer. It would be me, my husband, and our baby who will be 1 year old at that time. We're considering one of these 3 complexes. We're looking for the best one with a baby, but that is high-end enough for my husband and I to enjoy, too. I know these are all similar, but does one have an edge over the other that you would recommend? Thanks!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Any of the three will be wonderful. We have stayed at Meridian several times since it first opened a few years ago...it's wonderful.

Caribbean Club also topnotch, but have not stayed there and think all of their units are 3 or 4 bedroom so maybe a lot larger than what you need or want.

Took a tour of the Beachcomber last month and loved it!

Meridian has only two 2 bedroom units for rent; Beachcomber has, I think, five 2 bedrooms units.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Also, whichever had a ground floor unit available would be the deciding factor for me.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Hi. I've stayed at Meridian and Caribbean Club each a few times but not Beachcomber. I'd take LoveC's view on Beachcomber as she took a tour. Because it's new there may not be too many others that have been inside.

The Caribbean Club units are 3 bed/3 bath(and 1 4bed/3bath) BUT and this is a major one, depending on availability they are charging per bedroom usage. So as to be clear--my husband and I stayed in a 3 bed/3 bath oceanfront villa and paid as if it were a 1 bedroom unit in January. No one else shared the unit with us and other than not sleeping in the other 2 bedrooms it was no different than when we stayed there with 4 people previously or if we had 6 in there. The 'spare' bedrooms aren't roped off either LOL I would recommend emailing them directly in order to find out about pricing. Their website doesn't have as detailed a pricing sheet as caymanvacations.com so look there to get an idea then contact them.

We liked management and staff at both places during our stay. Caribbean Club has a few other amenities such as grocery shopping that we love. I place my order a few days to week prior and it's in the unit upon our arrival. There is a restaurant attached--Luca--which also has room service. Maid service is 7 days a week as opposed to 6.

They have quite a few similarities so unless it's something specific that you want or don't want, you really won't go wrong. I know that sounds generic in reply but they're in the same stretch of beach so that's not an issue. They're close to the same restaurants and watersports. Caribbean Club has an edge on furnishings and overall look/feel of the place. Meridian has a hottub; Beachcomber has 3; Caribbean Club has none. Caribbean Club and Beachcomber have infinity pools. Both of their pools are somewhat larger than Meridian's. Beachcomber's pools are heated. All have gyms. We stay in an oceanfront villa at Caribbean Club so we have easy access to pool and beach. If you stay in one of the tower units, it's a further walk thru a lobby area.

I'd said this before so no offense to Meridian but if I were choosing between the two of them, I'd go for Beachcomber simply because it's newer. Pricing is the same at both. For us, Caribbean Club edges them out enough for us to return.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

oops...Beachcomber has 2 hottubs not 3.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

I agree a ground floor unit is great, and especially so with a little one. However, no 2 bedroom ground floor units are available at any of these 3 fabulous places. BUT do NOT let that be your deciding factor! Beachcomber has gorgeous 2 bed units and one of them (I think #15) is on the 2nd floor with an expanded balcony area where you can sit and relax in full Sun while baby naps! All of the ones you mention are topnotch, high end, and you will be very happy staying at ANY of them:)

Rockport...
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Thank you so much for all of these very helpful replies! We just booked our FF miles tickets for Augsut, so I'm very excited! We'll be there for 7 nights. I think I am leaning towards Beachcomber or Caribbean Club simply because they are newer. I like the restaurant aspect of CC. And the balcony with full sun sounds wonderful for when baby is napping at Beachcomber! The only thing I'm confused about is that everyone says CC only has 3 br's, but on caymanvacations.com, it has prices for 2 br's. Is that the usage idea about how many you need depending on availability?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

beachgirl, yes---that's what I was trying to explain about only paying for having used 1 bedroom(2 people) but having FULL use of the entire condo. These aren't lockoff type rooms that are found at some places. And no stranger will show up to use one of the other bedrooms LOL It's just my opinion but I figure they decided to do it that way due to fewer tourists and an overflow of places along SMB. Some owners may desire the income and realize it's better to get less than nothing.

Also, as to the price difference I'd be inclined to email Caribbean Club--Danielle's the manager--and inquire as to why there's a discrepancy. That's not to say you shouldn't use caymanvacations. I just prefer to deal directly with the condo to ensure I get the exact unit I want. (side note--we'll also be there in August!)

If you end up with Caribbean Club another suggestion is to either get an oceanfront villa(condo--same thing :) or a high floor center tower unit(best views). The only ground floor unit in the tower is a 4 bed/3 bath. And all units have open patios/balconies--no screens.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

One other difference... Caribbean Club charges 20% tax/service charge(might be another term) whereas Beachcomber and Meridian charge 16%. CC's rates fall in line with a hotel since it has room service, valet parking, restaurant on site, and maid service every day.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

Beachcomber is newest and opened just last month with finishing touches on some units still in progress and screened in patio/balcony areas still not in place.

Meridian has been open 3 years, which still puts it in the "new" category, and ALL patios/balconies are fully screened. CC has been open a couple of years; the onsite restaurant, Luca, is lovely and upscale...a wonderful feature; none of their balconies are screened.

FYI, there is a very rigorous procedure that has to be met by ANY place offering lodging on the island. After Hurricane Ivan (2004) caused so much damage to so many structures, even the few that did not suffer as much devastation as others made significant improvements to interior and exterior features. For example, one of the nicest condos on the island is Coralstone Club (in the middle of central SMB) which is quite a bit older than Beachcomber, etc. yet rivals any of the newer places with its quality, location, furnishings, grounds, etc.

My rule of thumb for anyplace we have not previously stayed is to ask when bathrooms were totally renovated....if the answer is about 5 years or less ago, have found ourselves very pleased. This method hasn't failed me yet:) (I am quite picky!)

Grand Cayman
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Meridan, Beachcomber, or Caribbean Club?

The balconies at the Caribbean Club are large and sunny and in the evening you can order room service from Luca and have dinner on your private balcony, very nice!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach