We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

I just heard there's a thunderstorm over grand cayman...

I'm leaving this Saturday for a week and should I cancel? And I don't see any postings regarding this issue...

Was I misinformed???

Please advise.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
211 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

Glad you made it! I'm so jealous.

Please keep us updated as I am trying to plan my fall vacation to GC and need all the help I can get!

Thanks to all who post such helpful information!

usa
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

Thank you!!! :)

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

aeyoung .... So did you have a good trip ????

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

That's a good question to ask especially if you're not familiar with how tropical weather typically behaves. I'll try and give an explanation about summer "thunderstorms" ... hopefully without going into boring detail ...

Grand Cayman is a flat tropical island (max elevation around 60 feet) so during the summer time the island's rainfall is mostly generated by convection. During mid-day or early afternoon it is quite common that by the time clouds reach the "leeward" (usually western) side of the island they can be so laden with moisture that rain falls (and our landscape needs that to stay green and lush!). If the meterological conditions are such that the clouds have the opportunity to "boil" more intensely, then various types of lightning can result (again depending on weather conditions), and lightning is what causes thunder ... so that's why they are called "thunderstorms"! If it's being called a thunderstorm then it typically is referring to a localised and very transient weather condition that lasts several minutes or maybe even an hour or two before it passes on or just clears up as the afternoon progresses - as distinct from the much larger areas of stormy weather like tropical depressions that breed what are officially known as "Tropical Storms" or "Hurricanes."

Thunderstorms can also be generated on the leading edge of a cold front. If this happens when you're on the island and a night-time thunderstorm passes through, it makes quite a spectacle - a "sound and light show" to behold!

To check Cayman's local official weather forecast: go to www.gov.ky then under "Today's Weather" click "More Weather" then read the 24-hour detailed forecast, and you can also click "5-day Forecast" to get summary forecasts for the next 5 days.

... And ... If you aren't bored yet you can check out annual weather statistics for rainfall, cloudiness, etc. if you click on the following webpage and scroll down:

www.gov.ky/portal/page…

I hope all this is helpful!

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

... And by the way ... If there is a serious weather system or any other natural "hazardous condition" affecting (or expected to affect) the Cayman Islands, it will be promptly posted on

www.caymanprepared.ky

Enjoy your week in Cayman!

26. Re: Thunderstorm??? Should I cancel??? Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations