We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is American Express widely accepted ?

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
14 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is American Express widely accepted ?

We'll be in GC, staying on SMB this holiday season. Are American Express credit cards widely accepted ?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think so. I know I had a card way back in the day and tried to use it there and barely anyone would take it. If you have other options I"d go with them to be safe.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

Haven't found a place around SMB or George Town that takes credit cards (just about everywhere on GC does, except for some of the more "local" restaurants) that doesn't accept Amex. I'm sure there are some, but being geared towards tourism just about all establishments accepts most major credit cards. You may find some discounts for cash purchases here or there since merchants will pass on saving from not having to pay the processing fees.

As lovethesungal advised, best to also take a Visa or MasterCard just in case.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

Apparently we only go where AMEX is welcome :) That's the only card my hsuband brings with him but he does carry some cash.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

The only card we use is AMEX. We use it for everything (saving up miles). Never, ever had a problem in Cayman. I know that some other destinations are not so accepting. My son found that most places in the DR didn't accept it, however, Cayman is very AMEX friendly!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

It's always good to bring a 2nd credit card with you just in case.

TN
Level Contributor
438 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

Another "yes" to AmEx use on Grand Cayman. Have never had a problem.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
763 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

Going a level further to show how widely accepted it is, visit the official Cayman Islands Department of Tourism website and you can see that the Cayman-wide promotion for Fall offers a $200 Amex gift check if you book the vacation with your Amex.... nice

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

AMEX is fine everywhere. I've lived here for over 2 years and The Attic bar is the only place I know that does not take it

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

We try to use AMEX a lot as it offers us Starwood points. But we had a problem at Aqua Beach on SMB on our last trip. We found out after the fact that they didn't accept it and we didn't have enough cash or a backup card with us...so I had to go back to the hotel and get our VISA card. They don't notify you that they don't accept AMEX prior to being seated. I can't lay too much blame on them but it would have been nice to know this before we got the check. So, carry some backup payment options just in case.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is American Express widely accepted ?

I love my Amex and it is my primary card. The travel benefits and protection, exchange rates etc are lightyears ahead of VISA/MC.

However, I always carry a backup MC (or 2) :) Because Amex usually charges merchants a higher fee per transaction some of your smaller places do not except it as it is too costly.

B.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach