We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should i rent a car?

N.J.
Level Contributor
441 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Should i rent a car?

I just booked a trip to Grand Cayman for the fall. I am taking my boys and two of their friends ranging in age16-23. We are staying in a condo on 7MB centrally located.

I know we will be close to water sports,shopping center is across the street so figured we would just take cabs if we go anywhere but just started to wonder if i'd be better off renting a car or suv?

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should i rent a car?

Don't think it will be necessary. You will be able to walk to lots of shopping and dining. If you want to do a day trip to see other areas of the island, just rent for a day.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should i rent a car?

We stay central SMB and get a car. We have been cutting off the first and last days of our trip because we get groceries delivered and then don't want to deal with it on the last day. Husband picks up car at a location on SMB which is quick and easy. We use the car to go golfing(well not me :), church, shopping in town and any restaurants that are in town or elsewhere. But we're also not drinkers---not making a judgement LOL just pointing out the obvious if one is going to drink then just take a cab. I'd imagine if you want to snorkel in other locations on the island a car would be a major benefit. And for a first trip you're bound to want to see more than I do after many trips. So I'd recommend a car for at least a day or two. Because you'd want a larger car or SUV, I'd also recommend doing it ahead of time to guarantee you get it. Even during a slow period the Taurus we requested wasn't available so we got an SUV for same price.

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
154 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should i rent a car?

We were happy that we had a car. It's very hot to walk during the day--it's been in the 90's this week. There's lots of stuff to drive to, even tho 7 mb is lovely. Cabs are expensive here....and they give prices in caymanian dollars, so you don't think it's too bad till you get the us figure. For example to go from plantana to chicken chicken ( we didn't have a car the first two days) it was approximately $18. And it was about 4 miles if that.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should i rent a car?

Lori,

You definately won't need the car for your entire trip, especially where you're staying. There is so much for the 'kids' to walk to to keep them busy for a few days. Renting a car doesn't have to be a decision necessarily made before you get to GC. You can decide to rent a car just for a day if you wish. There is Andys and Avis as well as Coconuts (if I'm not mistaken) along 7MB. If you decided you wanted to trip out to the North Side for a day, just make arrangements the day prior.

N.J.
Level Contributor
441 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should i rent a car?

I think we will just play it by ear and see how it goes, we can always rent for a day or two if we feel we need to.

Filter, i saw from your previous posts you stay at Caribbbean Club which is where i am staying. Did Danielle take care of getting you the groceries for your arrival?

I booked a third floor beachfront villa which i originally thought would have the nicest views but now i am wondering if i should switch to the ground floor for the convenience of going from the terrace right out onto the beach but not as private. Can you give me your thought's on that since you have been there before. Thanks

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should i rent a car?

Lori, Yes we have the groceries delivered. LOVE it! And we only stay 3rd floor oceanfront villa when visiting. We've been in both of those units(1 on each side) and the view is spectacular. To get to beach you'd walk out the front door to the villa then take the elevator(which is steps from the door) down 2 floors. The elevators on both sides are just steps from the pool area so it's very convenient. To get to parked car the same elevator would go down another floor to the garage. There is a restroom right next to the elevator. We've never used it but it's nice to know it's there.

We've always preferred the higher floors at places we've stayed. We enjoy the privacy and view. Have a great trip!

N.J.
Level Contributor
441 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should i rent a car?

Thanks Filter, good to know and nice to read so many good reviews of CC.

Can't wait to get there!

8. Re: Should i rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach