We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review

Hi There,

We just returned from a weeks vacation in Grand Cayman and specifically at the Meridian in central 7MB. It was our first time in GC and we loved it. Travelled with my wife and kids (11 and 9). First off the Meridian was a great place. New, clean, spacious, and convenient. The staff were great and helped us whenever we needed it. Friendly folks.

The beach and ocean itself is by far the most beautiful I have ever snorkeled in and I spent hours a day doing just that. There are so many places where you can snorkel right from the beach. The properties just south of the Meridian had some great snorkeling about 100 yards off shore. Crystal clear water.

In the immediate area, we shopped at Fosters across the road for groceries and it was well stocked and reasonable. We ate at Eats Cafe twice and the food and service was great. We also ate at Eduardos across the street and it was a great meal with excellent service. We BBQ'd on the Meridian grills which were as clean as brand new everyday.

We did both the Atlantis submarine day trip and a 4 stop snorkeling trip to stingray city, starfish reef, barrier reef, and fishermans reef. The latter we did viaTours Cayman and they did a great job. Unrushed and fun guys (captain Carlos and stingray handler Danton were both entertaining). The Atlantis sub pilots were also very friendly and gave us lots of laughs.

We used the local buses to get around and after day one it was very natural to use this system. First day it feels odd jumping into these vans with locals and tourists and just saying where you are going but at $ 2 each it is well worth it and easy to get around.

All positive so far.....but a couple of minor cautions. We went to the turtle farm and to be honest unless you are really into turtles I would take a pass. Not real exciting and those turtles do not smell that fresh. My kids were not thrilled with that outing and we lasted maybe an hour. Also, one bad meal to report. Shame too because the service was good but we had what was for sure the worst lunch I have ever eaten at the Hardrock Cafe Grand Cayman. I normally avoid these places in favour of the local digs but the kids wanted to go there. Just not good food. Again a shame as the service was good.

The vacation ended with an unexpected bang when a celebration (we think two weddings) at the Ritz Carleton concluded with an incredible firworks display out over the ocean. I mean incredible. Someone shelled out big money for that and thanks to whoever that was. It was a spectacular show.

In summary....Meridian amazing....beach and ocean amazing....snorkeling and reef tour amazing.....atlantis sub amazing.....most of the food was great....most....and lots of relaxing time in a safe and laid back environment......well isn't that what we are all looking for?

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review

Great report, thanks. Your planning paid off and it's nice to read so many positive comments. Glad you and your family had a wonderful time.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review

I'm so glad that you all had such a wonderful trip. You made great use of your time, and I'm glad you enjoyed condo life, taking advantage of the grills is one of my favorite things!

Southern CA
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review

Interesting about the turtle farm...that was on our list to do, however it is quite expensive for what you are describing.

Might pass on it, thanks for the advice.

Scott

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,312 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review

So delighted that your Cayman vacation was such a pleasure! Having stayed at Meridian many times felt it would be all you expected..it's location is awesomely convenient, units are more than comfy, a perfect Cayman choice in my estimation and Lee & Pat are A-One laid back resources for any needs or questions posed!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
190 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review

Great to read your trip review. I am traveling with my wife and 11 year old girls next month. We are also staying at the Meridian. My mind is at ease !

WI
Level Contributor
237 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review

Lovely trip review. Not surprised that the Hard Rock was not good. IMHO, some of the worst food on Island!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review

Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Can't believe I'm going to say it on this board but we ALWAYS visit HardRock during our trip :) We really like it!

8. Re: Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:16