We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

Hello! Thinking of traveling to GC end of June with my husband, 7 and 9 year old, and am wondering if the surf off 7 Mile Beach is calm enough usually for well supervised children, or if another part of the island would be better.

I am just beginning my research, but I don't want to cross busy streets with little ones, and am thinking of trying to get by with bus transportation or renting a car for only a day or two.

But mostly I am wondering about how rough the water is off 7 mile beach.

Thank you!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

The water is usually nice and calm unless a storm should happen to whip up the surf! Great for kids :-)

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

We have been staying in the area for 20 years sometimes several times a year. The only times we saw it stirred up was during Hurricane Emily and TS Dean. We were diving again a day and half after Emily when the boats were brought back from safe harbor. It is usually like glass. Actually for the most of the island is protected by a barrier reef so it is great. Sometimes during winter months the East End can be subject to wind.

With regard to the road, you should know that for the most part the drivers in GC are very courteous and usually will stop completely for people crossing (even when the people are not using the overhead walkways). We are on the other side of the street. I find the driving much better than here in NY/NJ, LI, Baltimore, the U.K, and certainly by a long shot any other island I have been to especially StT. While I certainly agree that something like the Pelican Crossings as they have on high streets in the UK would be a welcomed addition, you should not feel that you and your children would be at risk. Where are you staying? If you are by the Beachsuites or the RC, there are overhead crossing so you have absolutely no worries!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

Thanks so very much, it was very re-assuring! We haven't traveled much with our little ones, and now that I know the ocean won't drag them out and that we don't have to be excessively concerned about getting mashed by traffic, I look forward to planning!

We haven't made reservations yet, I will look into the GC beachsuites as per your suggestion. Thank you all for your responses!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

In regards to the busy streets, they are busy. West Bay Rd., which is the main road along Seven Mile Beach is a challenge to cross at many times. It is set far enough back from most ocean front properties, but you should not think it is easy to cross, especially with kids in tow. I would hope most drivers would yield to pedestrians, but know that is not always the case. For a safety first approach, crossing at one of the over head walkways by the Ritz or Cayman Beach Suites is a smart choice, even if out of the way.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147365-i261-k3571…

Edited: 19 May 2010, 03:51
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

Not only is the water extremely calm, but it it crystal clear & a fabulous place for kids to become acclimated to the water. Never any crowds...lots of room to run & play. I would definitely suggest that you NOT stay in a hotel.....rent a condo & have all of the conveniences at the same price. The Islands Club is super....they'll get you a crib or whatever you need, & a major supermarket is just a short walk away.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
28 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

very smooth. Waves less than a foot most of the time and maybe 2 feet in a few areas. Calm currents as well. no problem for my 8 and 11 year old. So calm in fact you could sit in the surf and not get your hair wet.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

Thanks for the description! It sounds perfect.

8. Re: Are the waters on Seven Mile Beach rough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 05:16