We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

new york
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

Was considering booking Westin over Marriott. Are there really no umbrellas available at the Westin pool or beach other than cabanas that are rented? What's the cost of the cabana in USD?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

We stay at the Westin Casuarina at least once a year. Yes, there are no traditional (round) umbrellas available. There is a row of Casuarina trees that run the length of the beach between the sand and the building/pool area. They do provide a lot of shade depending on the angle of the sun and a lot of people use them. Usually shade goes away later in the daytime as it sets over the water. Problem is it gets crowded and there are hoarders that put down their personal belongings very early in the am to hold chairs underneath them. They do offer small 2 person (tight fit) cabanas that rent for $11 CI on a daily basisi from Red Sail Sports (on the hotel grounds). The only other option is renting the large tents if you have a large group with you. They run about $125 CI (i'm not 100% sure as we've never rented those).

Edited: 28 January 2011, 13:39
New Hope...
Level Contributor
721 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

When I stayed at the Westin, I moved the lounge chair under the shade from a tree. The downside is taht if you stay a long time on the beach, you have to keep moving the chair.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

Yup, no umbrellas. I found the sun to be incredibly intense, but on the other hand, that's what I was there for.

The little $11 sun shades didn't look like they provided much shade, to me. The trees are nice, but they're up the beach toward the hotel. I recall the cabanas being a bit pricier than $125, but I don't remember either. I guess it wasn't very crowded when we were there (June) because we had no problem getting chairs when we went to the beach. We'd come down in the morning, hang out until we couldn't take the heat anymore, then go to the room or to lunch, then come back again after lunch, and always plenty of chairs. Our main sun strategy was (1) wear big floppy hats and (b) stay in the water.

We're headed back this March. I'm guessing that's when I'll see the crowds?

4. Re: Really no umbrellas at the Westin????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 10:33