We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

Hi - we are staying at the Marriot Beach Suites and have been reading that the beach is really tiny.

1) Can we wander to any other hotel beach without problems even if we are not staying there? Any admission charges?

2) Does the Marriot charge extra for beach towels?

3) How early do we have to get to the beach so we can get some lawn chairs?

4) Any other beach recommendations within walking distance from the Marriot.

I don't think we will be renting a car. We do not mind walking to the beaches.

thx

Edited: 31 January 2011, 15:48
Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

They don't charge for beach towels and you can usually find a beach chair thru the day. We walked up and down the beach daily.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

You can walk the shoreline or enter the water wherever you want. The beach is public up to the high water mark, otherwise it is for the use of the hotel and condo guests. The restaurants and beach bars at the hotels are open to the public but it is not expected that restaurant patrons will use a hotel's pools or beach chairs. Just north of the Marriott is the Royal Palms beachfront bar/restaurant. Just beyond the Governor's home to the north is a public beach you can use.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

I should have added that you can take a bus north to the public beach next to Calico Jack's beachfront restaurant or to the Cemetary Beach or West Bay Public Beach. Note that a cover-up is required when you leave the beach itself.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

This visit we paid attention to who was in front of the condos while walking along the beach. (Marriott's beach was large but filled). It was obvious guests were in the loungers(okay we THINK they were guests :) but for the first time we also noticed alot more people with towels laying in front of private condos. That got us talking about the high water mark and what that means legally--is it where it is that day or when the condominium owner purchased the property?. Some condos have pillars with roping in front of them on the beach---does that mean everything in front of it is open for anyone? It made sense that the answer would be yes but that most definately means there is ALOT of open space during various times of the year.

We also found out that quite a few people do indeed just hop from one hotel to another and that includes the pools. I prefer to just plant myself where I stay but either this has been the norm or it's just becoming popular for some people who are staying right along SMB(and perhaps elsewhere) to think nothing of trying out Ritz, Westin or Beachsuites pools. They always mention having bought a drink or food so while this is always a hot topic, people on here may be the only ones following what we think are the rules. So I guess we weren't too surprised when people showed up at Beachcomber that definately weren't staying there(or Meridian). I suppose if we couldn't find a seat or the pool had been overflowing with people, we'd have voiced our displeasure to management.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

According to our condo board, the Queen's Land is 10 feet inland from the customary high water mark. It can change with the ebb and flow of the beach. Not sure what happens if the beach erodes enough so any building fall into that zone....

6. Re: Visiting other beaches other than your hotel beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach