We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Studio City, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Our family is going to Grand Cayman in mid-June for the first time. We are staying in a beachfront condo at the Caribbean Club and we have a few questions. We have a rental car for the duration of our stay and are looking for great excursions, restaurants (fine dining and dining on the cheap), what should we not miss while there? Favorite/Best spa for the ladies? Best shopping? Things to avoid? We are a sober family (non-drinkers) so we're not interested in THAT kind of fun. No kids with us -- ages 26 - 60 in our party.

1) Favorite/Best Excursions?

2) Favorite/Best Restaurants?

3) What should we absolutely NOT miss while we're there?

4) Any insider tips for a great vacation there?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Best advice, this early into your search: Check out this forum's TOP QUESTIONS on the right side of the page. You'll get a ton of 'insider' tips by reading the forum!! Enjoy!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Stingray City is a real special "to do" in Grand Cayman. As an avid diver I am all about what is in the water. The snorkeling is excellent. The restaurant at CC is Luca which is my favorite restaurant on the island currently. Sunday brunch is outstanding. Some places to try are Macabuca, and My Bar at Sunset House (this is in GT and a great way to go in for lunch, and then hit GT if you want as the cruise ships will be getting ready to leave. If you don't want to wander around town (I generally don't) you can check out The Glassblowing Factory and Pure Art! I was extremely pleasantly surprised by a recent trip to Dolphin Cove which up to that point I was totally against (my bad -- making a judgement based on ignorance!). Have heard great things about the Red Sail Sunset cruise. Visit Caymana Bay (just had a fab meal at Ortanique). Relax and have fun!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

I have the occasional drink at home and in Cayman. Does that mean that I am not a sober person? Good family restarants are Sunset Grill which is very reasonable. The Warf and Cassanova would also be good choices. The car rental gives you the freedom to truly enjoy the island. A drive to Rum Point would also be fun. Have a blast. We are arriving on the island April 16. for our 7 th stay.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 19:13
Studio City, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Thanks for the tips you guys -- really appreciate it!

Level Contributor
3,511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

The most beautiful parts of GC lie a few feet underwater. You will want to spend plenty of time snorkeling to see the coral and fish.

Other suggestions:

Take a full day to visit the east and north side of the island. I suggest getting an early start, stop at the Botanical gardens for a few hours (on "short cut" road to Rum Point). After this, back track about two miles to get back on the main road follows the coast. Stop by the blow holes on your way to East End making various stops along the way. Follow the road around to Rum Point. Make sure you have your snorkel gear with you. Rum Point has changing and shower facilities free for your use. Stay and watch the sunset. Use the "short cut" road on your way back to SMB.

A stingray sandbar trip is another "must do" GC excursion. We had a great time using Capt. Dexter.

I would spend a half day plus checking out GeorgeTown - many souvenir and art shops, glass blowing, and general "tourist" things.

Seven Mile Beach is a great beach for sunning and swimming. All beaches in GC are public property, so you can walk it up and down for miles.

My wife loved the Turtle Farm. If going there, you are only a few minutes away from Hell (don't make a special trip to just to Hell - only stop if you are already in the area).

Barkers National park is a good place to go to find secluded beaches that you can have all to yourself. Make sure you are out by closing time, as they chain the entrance closed at night.

My wife and I are in our 40's. We went to GC last June. Below is a link to some pictures we took that you can use to visualize some of the descriptions / ideas given to you.

flickr.com/photos/…

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Since you are in a condo, I highly recommend a trip to Kirk's market. Great selection of fresh fruit and produce, a chicken wing bar which was very good with a variety of styles, really a nice clean market with everything you could want for the occasional breakfast, snack, lunch, etc in. We like to bring a collapsible cooler along and pack some picnic type snacks. That way if you are snorkeling or just Beaching it away from restaurants you'll have something with you. Of course we always have some bottled water and caylights along. Being a "sober family" will save you lots of $ on Grand Cayman. Take some time to read through some posts (at least a couple of wks worth) and you will have more restaurant info than you need for a short trip. Enjoy

Studio City, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Have any of you done the Mastic Trail? I've read a bit about it in the forums. I'm wondering how tough a hike it is. I have a herniated disk in my back and while I can walk, I can't do anything too steep.

Also wondering the same for the jet ski trip to Sting Ray City? How tough is it on the back?

And one last question -- any vegetarian or vegan restaurants in GC?

Thanks you guys - these tips are teriffic.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

We took Fat Fish Adventures jet ski trip to Stingray Sandbar and loved it. So long as you are on your own "ski" you can go at your own pace so it shouldn't be a problem. By the stingrays you are in very shallow water so getting back on isn't a problem. The water was deep where we got off to snorkel so you kind of have to work to pull yourself back onto the ski there, don't know how that would be for you...it is a great way to see the island tho so you could always ask them to skip the snorkeling and just ride a little more, stop at rum cay, kaibo etc where the water is more shallow if you do a private trip.

Barrie, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

If you are interested in a REAL dining experience, take yourselves out to West Bay and dine at Osetra Bay. This is truly one of the top (in my books it's the best) dining experiences on the island. It is fine food, exquisitely prepared in a modern and elegant seaside ambiance. Make a reservation. I'm headed back to Grand Cayman next week and can't wait for dinner at Osetra Bay.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for 1st Timers to Grand Cayman?

Going to Ostera Bay this month for our in-town dinning excursion. Sure hope it lives up to the expectations!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach