We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Point vs SMB

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rum Point vs SMB

We are a family iwth 2 young adult children and is a first time visitor to GCM. We are looking for white sand beaches and good snorkeling spots. We are non-drinkers or not party animals. We are look for a reasonable priced condo.

Should we be stay in SMB or Rum Point?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

If you stay at Rum Point you will definitely need to rent a car. That said, both places have their individuals charms. SMB is famous because of its white sand beach. There are many spots where the beach and entry is purely sand, the downside of that is the snorkeling is not as good -- marine life needs little nooks and crannies to call home. Corals and many smaller fish do not stray very far from their home ground. Along SMB which is actually 5 1/2 miles long you are in easy walking distance to snorkel spots and can walk to many shops, restaurants, etc. It can be crowded at the busy weeks (ie Christmas, Easter, President's, etc.) and the hotels tend to book comped and business groups to stay afloat during the quiet summer months, so they have guests. That said the condos are different and maintain their beach and pool facilities for overnight guests. GC is not wild with night life so that would not be an issue wherever you choose. Why not look at sites like caymanvacations.com, caymanvacation.com and cicondos.com and come back with questions if you see something you might like. Also check out caymanislands.ky and see if they are doing the Summer Splash promo this year for the kids -- if your dates work out, it might be a good deal for you! There are condos for every budget -- some are much more expensive the "best" hotel rooms and some are very reasonably priced. Good luck!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

Found these condo in Rum Point:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p135807

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p151974

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p130317

http://www.vrbo.com/307741#rates

http://www.vrbo.com/232664#rates

http://www.vrbo.com/307741#photos

Anyone has any idea which is good?

The ones in SMB is a lot of more expansive.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

The thread below has some info regarding many of the condo options around Rum Point. Your query had links to places at Kaibo Phase II, the Retreat and the Sea Lodges. I just noticed that I omitted the Sea Lodges from my original recap. For the most part the units at the Sea lodges tend towards the more rustic side as accommodations go, some do not have AC or TV. Kaibo is the newest building, and the Retreat was completely renovated in 2005 after the hurricane.

Best snorkeling IMO would be off the Retreat along with the best beach. Sea Lodges also has good snorkeling, while Kaibo's water conditions are not really snorkel friendly.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k4025…

If simply seeing some fish, a ray and or a turtle makes for good snorkeling than almost anywhere on the island would do. I find the best all around snorkeling by far is located at Rum Point and along the north shore.

snorkelblog.tumblr.com

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

Here is a better link since it has some info on Kaibo and a few other complexes around Rum Point as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147364-i260-k4009…

Maple Grove, MN
Level Contributor
128 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

Our first visit we split our time on Grand Cayman and did 6 nights on the North side and 2 nights on SMB staying at the Comfort Suites. Our second trip we spent the entire time near Rum Point. We stayed at the Kaibo Yacht Club Phase II condos and loved it as a very comfortable home base. We tried a different snorkle spot everyday and then ended our day usually at Rum Point or if it was later we enjoyed many sunsets at Ivory Kai or "the Starfish Beach" We drove into town one day for some shopping and hit Smith's cove on the way back for a picnic lunch and snorkeling. We did the loop around the East end and enjoyed seeing what has changed. We got a very good rate for high season at $1000 a week for a 2 bedroom condo. That was pure luck I think. Good luck on your research!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

The reason SMB is more expensive is because it is a big beautiful beach and closer to things. Even for actual purchases the prices and taxes are higher for an SMB address. It is a "busier" part of the island. That said, my place is there and when I am home I hear nothing but the birds and the boats in the canal. No people (occasionally someone walking a dogs or the kids), but that is pretty much it. It is not like a built up beach resort area although it is much more "built up" than it used to be. Rum Point and the East End are more isolated. That said, while you need a car, and don't have as many immediate restaurant options, it is not like being in the middle of no where. There is much to do and see and also beautiful beaches, albeit none with the lenght and expanse of SMB (why it is famous). The whole island is not that big to start with. I don't consider driving (car or boat) from SMB to Rum Point a big deal -- it is a lot closer to places I drive to regularly at home. It is all relative -- what do you want. You will find many lovely places as rentals are regulated by the DOT and the standards are high. For the most part, if a place costs more, it is newer, a more desirable location (totally depends on individual opinion) etc. Also summer, especially the latter part is really quite on the island. There are great deals to be had and you will not be crowded unless perhaps you chose somewhere like the RC which has to keep people in its rooms like any hotel would! Hope this helps abit. It is better to come back with questions about individual places. vrbo has been around a long time and is done by owners -- as a renter I prefer not to do that as I like someone on the island always knowing that my home is not abused -- but that comes with a price. Personally I would rather pay that have an unpleasant surprise for a paying guest or myself. I am not familiar with the other company. Many owners and renters use vrbo with no problems.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

In case you haven't read these already:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=260&geo=147364&q=smb+rum+point&sub-search.x=9&sub-search.y=8&sub-search=Click+to+search+forums&returnTo=__2F__

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
979 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

How long is the drive from SMB to RUM POINT????

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

+/- 60 minutes.

Syracuse, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Point vs SMB

We recently went to Grand Cayman with 2 small children. We stayed on Seven Mile Beach. We were a five minute drive to the supermarket and many kid friendly restaurants. We were able to snorkel right off of the beach. The condo was reasonably priced for the quality we got. You could probably get a large discount by contacting a the owners of the condos on VRBO. One convenience I would recommend if you are staying in a condo, is having a washer and dryer in the condo. It is a real time saver.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach