We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental .... Which one ??

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental .... Which one ??

We just booked the penthouse at Christopher Columbus - July 2nd to 9th - me, my hubby and 3 teenage daughters. Hubby wants a car and we are under the impression that you need a car if you are staying at CC...... we would obviously need a smallish van (this is what we rent when we go yearly to Barbados).

Can anyone recommend a rental place ??

What would we be looking at price wise for the week's rental ??

Thanks

Jo

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

Just about all the rental places are good (Hertz is the only one that seems to get some negative feedback). We normally use Thrifty, Dollar or Budget. But I suggest you go with whichever company has the best deal.

A poster turned me on to Budget's name your own price option and I have had some good results using it. Unlike many of the other companies, they are also open late. Good to know in the event of a late arriving flight.

http://budget.ky/name_price.html

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

We use one of the local companies. Usually Andys. They have offices at the airport ,SMB and a few of the hotels.

Coconuts does a fine job also.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

Andy's ....right across from the airport.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

Just to clarify finstotheleft's post., Andy's has an airport location and one across the street from the Marriott. They do not have locations in the hotels. You will find CICO Avis at the hotel locations.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

We often use Andy's the location is ideal. However, when we have our kids (now grown ups) we usually use Hertz as we can get a big Ford Explorer! They are just a short walk away, but not right across like Andy's.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
122 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

I just returned from Grand Cayman on Sunday and we used Andy's. They told us the car had to be back by 12pm on our departure date and they would give us one extra hour as a grace period and any hour after that would be $10. We brought the car back at 2pm and weren't charged $10 (not a huge savings but better than none).

I called and reserved the car the day before we left and they were totally good about it, charged us the same price that was quoted on the phone.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

your right about renting a car. we rented the penthouse and i just posted my review. you will be very happy with it. i rented a med size car and we also had five in my group. the price was $350 for a week . i don't think i used a full tank of gas . not much driving just rum point , and going to some local stores, and dinner. any questions just e mail ...

WDWmichelle
Level Contributor
42 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

I checked Avis for a minivan in June and the price was $800. I did name your own price at Budget and got a minivan for $350. I head there this week so I can't tell you about the service but for the price I am thrilled.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

Just to be safe, check the size of your minivan. In many places around the world, mini is more mini than the US. However, for the amount of driving you will be doing, the girls should be fine!!! You might not fit in the luggage and the people -- if some have to take a cab or make two quick runs to the airport, it is really no big deal.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental .... Which one ??

Just like "retrip" says mini can be really small. WE rented one for a week once in GC and it took about 3-5 seconds after "floorboarding" it for it to even begin to move. I began to step on the pedal long before the intersection was clear. We all got a big laugh about it, but would never go mini again!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach