We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Southern Calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

I am in a wheelchair, my family and I will be arriving on Grand Cayman on July 24th for 10 days. We are staying at a condo on 7 mile beach. Does anyone know of any wheelchair accessible bars or restaurants in the area? We will be renting a car so we will also be able to go to other places on the island.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Cayman has no ADA laws, so it is not very wheelchair friendly. Which condo?

MA
Level Contributor
672 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

From memory (and my memory may not be correct), but I am thinking Coconut Joe's has a ramp from the street entrance. Coconut Joe's is across the street from Comfort Suite's hotel and is what I would consider casual dining, but pretty good. Also, from memory, I think "My Bar" at Sunset House? is also ramped. That is located thru Georgetown by 2 minutes and has a beautiful water view- also not too fancy, but pretty good food.

I would ask at your hotel or even the van driver as they would probably have a better idea.

BTW...alot of the restaurants are ground level and if anything you would only need to navigate a few steps(which could be difficult, I know).

Anyone know about Royal Palms?? Can't remember if they have a ramp toward the back??

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Thought that the Cayman Good Taste (www.caymangoodtaste.com) might have ADA/wheelchair accessible as one of their advanced search criteria but alas it does not. If the front desk at your condo can't provide help, I'd just pop into one of the larger hotels (Westin, Ritz, Marriott) and check with the concierge. Most are willing to provide info , especially with something like this.

MA
Level Contributor
672 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

I was just thinking about Eats/Legends Sports bar (just the door jam to get in)- Eats for breakfast, Legends for drinks, Lone Star(outside drinks- divers bar), Sunshine Grille at Sunshine Suites hotel- all ground level- great fish tacos. Also, and I am not sure, but I am thinking it has a ramp, but check first....Macabuca in West Bay- lovely view, good food. Long way to go if it turns out there are steps!

One more- Stinger's- Comfort suites hotel- Stinger's located in back of hotel - drinks and small beachy restaurant poolside, but all are welcome.

All the places I mentioned are reasonable and casual.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

Fall River, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

My mother is in a wheelchair and she has been to Cayman 8 times. We have never had any problems going almost anywhere. Royal Palms has a wheelchair ramp to the right of the bar by the showers. Sunset House - My Bar also has a ramp. The waiters even carried her up the stairs in the wheelchair at the Seaharvest Restaurant at Sunset House. We have been to the Wharf Restaurant, Rum Point, Botanic Gardens, oh gosh so many places I won't list them all. You will find lots of places to go. We arrive in Cayman tomorrow!! Have a wonderful trip!!!

Edited: 08 July 2011, 13:07
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,083 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

My daughter has interned with a group that certifies handicapped individuals (most all are wheelchair bound) on the island. They go to restaurants and venues all over the island including the helicopter tour with Frenchie, Stingray City (there first dive as certified divers is there), Dolphin Encounter, etc. These young people are there for a couple of weeks and never seem to run out of places to go -- different restaurants every night. Check out stay-focused.org. Many different similar groups use the island because it is so easy to get around. It is not easy compared to the States, but not awful. Daughter just said some of the biggest issues might be the bathrooms! Have a great time.

Southern Calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

We will be staying at Casa Caribe, which is a low rise condo setting about in the middle of 7 mile beach. We are staying in a 3 bedroom wheelchair accessible condo. We are all excited. We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow from Southern California.

Southern Calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Thanks for your help. I will research the properties. There are 6 of us traveling to Grand Cayman, 4 of which are between 18-21. Any more causal, less expensive places to eat would be appreciated!!

Southern Calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Thanks for the help!!

Southern Calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wheelchair accessible bars and restaurants

Bathrooms are usually always a problem, but I never let it stop me. I just need access into the building. My family and I are seasoned travelers. We have stayed on all the USVI's, St Kitts and a few places in Mexico. We are looking forward to spending 10 day on Grand Cayman. I will check out the website. Thanks for all the help!!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations