We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach snorkeling spots

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach snorkeling spots

We're getting ready for our first trip to GC in August. We'll be staying on 7 mile beach and could rent a vehicle if necessary to reach other beaches. So I have a few questions... Where are the best beach snorkels? Is Stingray City worthwhile? Are there any can't miss beaches that we should make sure we hit? Thanks!

New Haven...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I just returned from my trip to Grand Cayman. Here is what I recommend. I stayed at the Westin on SMB. Definitely should rent a car if you plan on doing any beach snorkeling because the spots are spread out and cabs can get expensive.

Far and away, my favorite spot was Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. Great marine life and AMAZING coral, with deep drop offs and caves you can peer down into. I was fortunate enough to see a nurse shark while snorkeling there.

The wreck of the cali is a cool spot too. Not as much marine life there, but interesting to see. Cemetery Beach is a nice spot too.

Stingray city is neat. You wade on a sandbar in the middle of the ocean while wild (but used to humans) stingrays swim by your feet and you can pet them. Your tour guide will wrangle one for you to pet, hold, and if you're brave, give a kiss to. I found the after trip to Rum Point afterwards to be pointless. The snorkeling is average there (very shallow in spots) and the tour leaves you there for 3 hours while you can look at a gift shop or pay to eat at the snack bar which is poor quality food. I'd skip that option if possible.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

" I found the after trip to Rum Point afterwards to be pointless. The snorkeling is average there (very shallow in spots) and the tour leaves you there for 3 hours while you can look at a gift shop or pay to eat at the snack bar which is poor quality food. I'd skip that option if possible."

Agree that snorkeling immediately off the beach at Rum Point is a waste of time. But it sounds like you didn't get out to the Boulder Coral Gardens or the Cayman Kai Reef Route, which you could have easily done during your three-hour window.

Kansas
Level Contributor
580 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Encourage this as REQUIRED READING (particularly to anyone writing that Rum Point doesn't have much to offer for snorkelers) to fully experience the fabulous snorkeling off the shores of Grand Cayman. http://snorkelblog.tumblr.com/. Testudo has mapped it all out in amazing detail. If you research nothing else before your trip, read this snorkeling guide. Thank you, Testudo!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Snorkeling at Rum Point is way overrated. Folks should not even bother trying to snorkel there, don't waste your time, nothing to see. You have to leave your lounge chair to even see anything. Even that is suspect. Stay away, don't come up.

:)

Kansas
Level Contributor
580 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I actually considered that approach myself :)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

Just returned from SMB, stayed at Caribbean Club which was AMAZIING. There are two orange buoys straight out from the beach. The second buoy marks a small, but very nice thriving reef - it is quite a distance away, we needed to watch out for some of the boat/jet ski traffic, but the calm waters make for an easy swim. We felt like this reef was our private little oasis. Saw several sting rays, barracuda, puffer fish and other tropicals. We were limited with our options to explore the island, as we only stayed 3 days and had very small children. So we stayed put, enjoyed our beautiful beach area and had fun out on our little reef.

27. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 16:04
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

I just read the dates on this, lol, glad you had fun!

Edited: 29 April 2014, 14:37
29. Re: Best beach snorkeling spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 07:16