We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I wrong to get worried?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Am I wrong to get worried?

I am sorry, but I am starting to get worried. it seems to me that someone gets robbed almost every day, and for a society with only 60k People that seems a lot - also considering statistics and all.

We really want to feel safe driving around the Island snorkeling at remote beaches, and visiting off the beaten path places, but I must admit I am starting to get worried. Only this last week it seems there have been a robbery a day, it is not big an Island, how many criminals Can there be?

I dont want to stir anything up, and sorry if I do, but the fact we could feel safe driving around, was one of the main reasons we chose GC.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

Some good news from the Cayman government...better late than never.

cayman27.com.ky/2011/09/12/crackdown-on-crim…

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

I will say the police helicopter was seen often and for long periods of time over Rum Point last week.

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

More bad news-

caymannewsservice.com/crime/2011/09/14/polic…

Yes, it was a "local" and not a tourist, but this beautiful country never used to be that way, and it makes me mad.

Be careful- the police have no guns, only the criminals do.

Sherman, IL
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

We were there for 8 days and never felt like our safety was at risk.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

My guess is that it is probably gang and drug related. Is it true the Cayman police are not allowed guns? That could be a real "game changer".

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,442 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

In lots of countries police do not carry guns . . . just think about it. Unless the cop with the gun was there when the crime is actually being commited, what difference would it make? They can't go shoot the guy afterwards!!!! In a faceoff situation the police having guns might be an advantage but so would police dogs.

It is gang related and like domestic violence, it happens everywhere but private islands and places where you can get caned for jay walking. People should be careful wherever they are and my guess is that in places where the police are more heavily armed even more careful. There is a reason why police have to carry weapons and the more powerful and high tech they are speaks for how powerful and high tech the criminal element actually is. They are actually bringing x-ray machines to the island in hopes of taking guns away from those who should not have them. That along with cameras, etc., will hopefully keep the crime level low and bring it back to where is was in the past (although that is probably wishful thinking about turning back the clock).

Edited: 15 September 2011, 16:55
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

As I understand it, most RCIP officers do not carry guns, but some are armed and I expect that in any investigation of a violent crime that the apprehending officers sent to collect a suspect would most certainly be armed.

Retrip makes some excellent points about what really drives the need for police to carry guns, which is direct threats to officers' safety while performing their duties. So far, despite the occasional gang-on-gang murder by firearm I have yet to hear of a police officer being gunned down, and for several reasons I fervently hope I never do.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

We were on island in the latter part of July, and we both and especially my wife felt very safe, the local population is very friendly and charming and always eager to help, in the matter of fact we tour the part of West Bay where the murder took place and been lost we stop and ask direction to a teenager, which, very graciously even took the time to explain on our map some nice little road that took us the a remote spot on Botswana Bay, we also drove twice at night to our favorite Restaurant in Cayman, Ristorante Pappagallo, and never felt safer even when we got lost on the way back. To sum up, please go to Cayman enjoy your vacation, I would be more worried to walk in daylight in certain part of my town that in the middle of the night on a dark road in Cayman.

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

And another- beware of the crossfire!

caymannewsservice.com/crime/2011/09/18/teen-…

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
904 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Am I wrong to get worried?

Just a ray of sunshine, aren't you!

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach