We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Still 3 loooooong weeks to go to our 2 weeks in the sun, but as a true travel nerd and with amazing help from all you great people, I think I have planned and investigated as much as it is possible before arriving.

Accommodation:

We are going to stay at Marriott – No Condo for us, as we have tried it numerous times in Europe and it always end up with me doing the dishes and preparing breakfast – because it is so much more “easy” than going out to eat. We like that the beach is narrow, the turtle pond in the middle, and the artificial house reef is a great way of training snorkeling with our 5 year old.

Restaurants and food

I cancelled the rate we had that included breakfast when I realised that there were lots of cheap restaurants nearby, and as we really hate buffets this will be a better option:

Some of the places we are planning to visit for breakfast are: Coconut Joes, Cimboco, Cafe del sol, Icoa, Treats and a bit further away, Eats and Black Trumpet.

We don’t plan on eating anywhere expensive as we have the children with us. We are thinking of visiting the following for lunch and dinner: Chicken-Chicken, Legenz, Yoshi Sushi, Orchid Sushi, Sunshine Grill, Stingers, Reef Grill, Macabuca, might throw in Calypso grill, Tukka and 7 as my husband like a good steak. (The Michelin-like experiences we like to do when we go on weekends around Europe “sans” kids so we will not eat at Luca, Hemingway or Blue)

Trips and Tours

We have rented a car at Andy’s for the duration of the trip, and plan on (with Testudo’s guide in hand) to drive around the island most days looking for the best snorkelling.

We are also taking a one day trip to Little Cayman – have rented a car for the day and plan on driving around the Island looking for secluded beaches and good snorkelling. Luckily Little Cayman Beach resort is open and has a beach bar where we can get lunch as it seems everything else is closed for the season.

We are of cause going to Stingray city and have booked with Captain Dexter, as we like the idea of going with a catamaran.

Furthermore we are planning on taking the Mangrove Snorkeling trip with The National trust. We just need to figure out what we do with our youngest.

I have also printed the schedule for the cruise ships as we would like to know what days to avoid Rom Point, Eden Rock, Smiths cove, Governors reef and Public beach (there should be some children’s floating play things in there?)

We would also like to snorkel the Kittiwake, but will need to plan when we arrive as non of the dive-centers can tell us which days they are going there – this is one of the few things we still need to figure out, as we don’t know which operator will be best to go with.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

PS - I have decided not to worry about crime, as it seems the gangs are to busy killing each other to have time to rob the tourists.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

I hope you have the most wonderful time!! I am pretty sure that Red Sail Sports does a snorkel trip to the Kittiwake -- they are the dive op at the Marriott. Can't wait to hear how it went when you get back!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Good plan, I hate buffets too, in general, so I would go and do your own thing. Best steak is up for debate between Copper Falls and 7 @ The Ritz. It depends on your experience but either one is splendid. I wouldn't call Luca or Hemingway's Michelin-type though, just a heads up

Chicken Chicken really is delicious, I've had the chicken with wild rice more times than I can count and it never disappoints. I'm not one to eat much at breakfast but I would suggest Eats as the best and most varied menu, Moons over My-Hammy is a safe bet

I'll be down on October 21st, shouldn't be too many tourists around so it can be a pretty nice time of the year to visit

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Have a great vacation!

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,435 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Sounds like you are all set to have a great holiday. Please share your experiences upon your return.

Happy snorkeling!

Edited: 22 September 2011, 18:34
chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Sounds like you've planned a wonderful trip. I think there is some playground equipment at the public beach that your 5 year old might like to climb around on. The hotel can probably help you out with references for a sitter for when you go on the mangrove tour.

Have a great time--sounds like you have a wonderful plan :-)

Edited: 22 September 2011, 21:03
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Thank you so much everybody - we are truly looking forward to our trip.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

I think you should add a night kayak in the bioluminescent bay. Your 5 year old should be fine. Any younger might be a little more difficult.

Kids love it.

B.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

Booyakasha: Congratulations on your new DE status!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confessions of a True Travel Nerd

thanks Booyakasha, but we already checked that, and they do not take children younger than 8 :(

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach