We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Refurbishment!

Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Refurbishment!

I know the Westin is undergoing a refirbishment of their pool, spa, (getting umbrellas) at the beach, new carpet in the halls.. Is anyone there now or know anything about when they might finish. I am going early Nov.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
575 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

Everything is relative and all the goods have to get shipped in. Even it someone tells you tomorrow, it doesn't necessarily happen that way. Go enjoy yourself and be happy. Most hotels in the Carib same as Florida and all the gulf coast USA and anywhere humidity is problem are constantly undergoing room refurb etc to keep them fresh -- it's a great place and you will have a good time anyway!

Edited: 10 October 2011, 00:09
Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
United States
United States
North America
Duvalcrawler
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

There's no way the work will be finished. If you don't mind jack-hammers in the empty pool right outside your oceanfront room keep your reservation. The entire pool area is closed with orange construction fencing.

To us, the pool is the main draw to the Westin, without it, its an avg hotel at best.

I would change my reservation to the Marriot, Beach Suites, or the Ritz.

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
The Westin Grand Cayman...
575 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

thanks! Duvalcrawler are you there now?

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
314 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

Just got home last night.

Stayed at the Beach Suites. The old Hyatt Resort. We had a great 2 BR with tons of space for a nice off season rate.

Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

thanks! Recommend any resturants? I think I will cancel Westin and move over to the Beach suites.. A little more $ but free breakfast as well.. Just too risky with the pool although we sit ata the beach the whole time.. what do you think?

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
314 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

The construction near the suites didnt bother us at all. The rooms are more like condo units and only the doors on that side face the construction. The balconies are all pool side/ocean view.

Lots of good restaurants within walking distance. Deckers and Lonestar are mere steps away as well as a couple on site.

Duvalcrawler
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

The only complaint (if you could call it that) we had was the pool bar closes too early, as does the Westins. The hotels are very quiet after 6:00pm. I don't want noise after 10:00pm, but I would enjoy a drink after dinner on the beach.

The Marriot seemed to have a much livelier pool area after dark and probably will be considered for next years trip.

Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

In your opinion should I switch to BS or Marriott ? We love the beach!! That's why I chose the westin!

Duvalcrawler
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

The beach at the Marriot is probably the worst of the group, smaller, and a bit rocky in some places.

Its a bit pricey, but Caribbean Club was my first choice, but I got over-ruled by Fins.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean Club Luxury Boutique Hotel
Caribbean Club Luxury...
644 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
60 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Refurbishment!

Booked the westin for nov20..Phoned the hotel spg and was told the pool was scheduled to be finished oct31..Stayed at beach suites in the past. Nice..Hoping on the westin this time around..Seemed quiet. will be monitoring the pool situation. Good Luck

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach