We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about traveling with kids

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Questions about traveling with kids

We are in process of booking a trip for mid Dec ---we will be bringing our 3 young children with us (all under age 4). Ideally we want a place with a great beach, a nice pool and close enough to walk to a place to eat every now and then. So my questions:

We are looking into a 3 bedroom at Coral Stone Club- good place for kids? restaurants nearby?

what are the rules in terms of car seats for kids? Obviously we want them to be safe & every US state is different with their rules, so just wanted to be sure we were covered (or rented seats).

Food for the kids---I plan to bring some of the stuff that they are super particular about, but obviously do not want a suitcase full of goldfish and mac n cheese, so how kid friendly are the grocery stores? Baby uses Enfamil formula, should we pack enough for a week?

thanks a lot..

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

The grocery stores are pretty much like your big grocery stores in the states. But If there is a particular formula you will need, I would call Fosters to make sure they carry it. I would guess that they probably do, but better to be safe than sorry.

Children are required to have a proper child restraint safety device. So if you're not bringing your own, you will need to rent them in GC.

Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

CoralStone Club is a great place. The pool is kid friendly as it's a zero-entry. Also plenty of huts or umbrellas if you want to get out of the sun. The beach in that area is fantastic and the entry into ocean is easier than some other locations. The units themselves are well kept and spacious for a family of 5.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

Coralstone is not too far from The Strand Fosters IGA supermarket. Their weekly specials are online: http://www.fosters-iga.com/index.htm

They have some things on special that are cheaper than home, but some items may be twice as much.

I would be very totally surpised if they didn't carry Enfamil. They seem to cater to an American market -- it's a large store. Not open on Sunday. I do take some food with me (stuff that I know I might not easily get there, or that I know will cost a lot more) -- for one thing, once it's used up, it leaves space in luggage to bring new stuff home.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

Stayed at the Coral Stone this summer with 3 young kids. We loved it!

Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

I recently traveled with my one year old son and we brought his carseat. We had planned on renting a car, but in the end we didn't, since we didn't plan on bringing the little guy many places. If you plan on doing some sight seeing, I'd suggest renting a car since you can just keep your car seats in there. I'm of the opinion that if your child needs a seat here in the states, I'd put them in one on Grand Cayman. Further - do some research on rented carseats. I'm sure you'll find it disturbing, at best. It's a huge PITA to haul them, but worth it.

We stayed at the Caribbean Club and couldn't recommend it more! Fully equipped kitchen, three bedrooms, a fantastic beach and pool that we had to ourselves most days. And right across from the Strand.

As far as grocery shopping, we shopped at Foster's and I had no problem finding my own personal choices for brand name food and household items. I'm pretty sure I saw Goldfish too! Unless your kiddos are super particular about something, you'll be able to find all the major brand name foods.

6. Re: Questions about traveling with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor