We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break - how bad is it?

Westford...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break - how bad is it?

I just realized that we (parents with 6yr old) booked during the 2nd week of March which is smack in the middle of Spring Break. We are staying at a B&B so perhaps that won't be rowdy. What about SMB? Since we are not staying on the beach, we need to take day trips by car. I was looking at Royal Palms, Sea Grape, Cemetery Beach, Rum Pt., Smith Cove amongst other places. Calm shallow water is important.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

What do you think will be "bad" about visiting during "spring break"?

Westford...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

Hmmm . Maybe lots of rowdy drunk college students. Crowding.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

Cayman is way too expensive for the vast majority of college spring breakers. The price of liquor alone would break the bank of most students, forget about lodging. It is certainly not like Cancun, Jamaica, the DR, etc...when it comes to hosting college spring breakers.

However, it is still High season on the island, so there will be lots of other families on spring break as well.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 03:36
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

There will also be people from the cruise ships , with Rum Point being one of their favorite destinations as is Royal Palms, which is closest to the port. While Cemetery beach is generally quite calm, IMO I wouldn't call it shallow, like at Rum Point. When we were there in January, it didn't take long for it to drop off. There's more of a gradual drop-off at Smith's Cover but it's still not like Rum Point where you can go out quite a ways before it gets deep at all, at least for an adult.

The following link will allow you to check the port schedule to see how many ships and their total capacity will be in on any given day.

http://www.caymanport.com/shipschedules.php

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

I think a 6 year old would love Rum Point. Get there early and stake out your chairs

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

We've been there the past two spring breaks (March 10-20), and we've haven't experienced any of the spring break crowd. That's why we go to Cayman and not Cancun.

7. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2012, 13:05
Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

3rd visit upcoming in March 2012 and have yet to see spring breakers staying anywhere on Cayman, as Testudo pointed out the $ of alcohol, food and lodging for them is way above most a student budget....let alone the airfare! Plus there are no AI's in the 7M area and if you have a chance to check out the Cayman good taste guide (http://www.caymangoodtaste.com) you will see the awesome listings for restaurants and it gives you a sense of the vibe of Cayman. Yes lots of families in March and couples (like my husband and I) and generally a great deal of respect from everyone in terms of understanding tourists come to relax, rest, recharge etc. Yes the cruisers (hey that's their vacation too) come in and visit some beaches, Georgetown, sting ray city etc. but most areas are very quiet all day and night. "sandwaterpalmtrees" I see from your profile you have been to St Barts. Wondering how you will compare GC and St Barts?

Westford...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

We will definitely go to Rum Point but it's a long drive so maybe only once.

Westford...
Level Contributor
257 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring break - how bad is it?

Yes, we went to Anguilla and St. Bart's last year. I am interested in how GC compares and will write about it.