We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Bettendorf, Ia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Will my Sprint phone work in the Cayman's? Not a big deal if it doesn't, but might want to text the kids a time or two while we are there.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

From the top questions about Grand Cayman on the right of the main page.

tripadvisor.com/…19390230

Edited: 05 March 2012, 20:11
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Just a heads up. If you turn your phone on (or just have it on) and text messages come though, you will be charged for those messages whether you read them or not. I'd follow the link and either get a trac phone or use some other method that doesn't require your phone to roam on a network in a foreign country.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

+1 re: picking up a local phone (either an unlocked phone that you've brought in and purchased a SIM card for or a phone you've purchased in Cayman).

I got a $25 Samsung phone on Ebay and picked up a SIM card at Fosters for Digicel. I top it off as needed and just use it on island.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
602 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

A bit more about getting a local phone if you're concerned about avoiding roaming charges:

LIME sells a "Phone in a Box" now for CI$30 (approx US$36) with a handset and prepaid-service SIM ready to go with CI$20 credit, sold at various supermarkets and the LIME outlets e.g. Galleria Plaza on Seven Mile Beach and across from Subway at the crossroads in West Bay. If you need more "credit" you can easily "top up" (add credit) at supermarkets and gas (petrol) stations. The great thing is that on this service incoming text messages and incoming phone calls are free! Also, very reasonable rates for outgoing calls and text messages. Great coverage on all three Cayman Islands.

If you're going to be making or receiving several phone calls or text messages, it's worth considering.

Avon Park, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Thank you for your input; I am going for my first time to Grand Cayman and will definitely check out the $36.00 (US dollars) that you spoke of.

I appreciate your input.

Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
602 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Update on the Phone-to-Go deal: The price is now CI$49 which includes CI$20 credit, the phone, and the SIM. Apparently the price for the package is now the same at both LIME and Digicel.

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, LIME has the best deal for a SIM card.

Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

Resurrecting this question. If we get the Phone-to-Go deal, can that be used on other islands? Going to Grand Cayman next week and to the BVI next June, so curious as to whether we'll be able to get more use out of it. Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

I know that LIME and Digicel (two of the major providers on Grand Cayman), also provide service on the British Virgin Islands.

Best thing, if nobody has an answer here, would be to ask them. http://www.time4lime.com/ky/ and http://www.digicelgroup.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone service in Grand Cayman

it will work , but my bvi phone will cost me roaming charges in Cayman

so I had to get a separate phone for our Cayman trip

winnipeg, manitoba
Level Contributor
829 posts
20 reviews