We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Hi all, we just booked our first trip to the Cayman Island last evening and I am very anxious about it. We are 4 adults, 4 kids under 7... We will be going in June and will stay at the Cayman Reef Resort. I read many many posts on this forum, so I know I should expect the beach to be a little narrower than in the the center of 7MB. However, I am a little concerned about the water entry being rocky in front of the CRR? Can anyone let me know where the rocks/reef/coral starts? Is it Ok enough to swim without water shoes? Strangely, I could not find pictures clearly showing the water entry at this resort... I will surely have many other questions for you so feel free to comment and/or give me any input about the CRR, its location and the beach.

Cheers,

Pennylee

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuGA2ZfeOPE

Edited: 07 April 2012, 23:41
Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Thanks for the video, but that was filmed at "The Reef Resort", while I am staying at the "Cayman Reef Resort" on south 7MB near Royal Palms Beach Club. Hopefully the beach there is not as rocky as the one at "The Reef Resort"!!

Cheers,

Pennylee

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

http://goo.gl/pTtFw

No water shoes needed.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

The beach, sea entry and sea bottom are all nice and sandy at Cayman Reef Resort. No reef shoes needed in that area, but like everywhere else, there can still be small bits of loose coral on the sea bottom here and there.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Thank you so much for your replies! That is great news! It is great to be able to write with people who actually know the place!

My next question is the following : the taxis rates are for 1-3 persons, this is kind of hard to calculate for a family of 4... Anybody has an idea of how much the taxi from airport to resort would cost for our family of 4?

Since we are 8 in our party (2 families of 4), I am trying to weigh in the taxi option vs the rental car option...

Thanks again,

Pennylee

Tennessee
Level Contributor
581 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Sorry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Uae-5RC-c

Looks wonderful. Have a great time.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 12:12
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Eight people with luggage in either a taxi or rental is tough. Are you planning on renting a car anyway? Load up your car with people and luggage and send a few in a cab. The distance is not that far and it is an easy drive. You could even follow the taxi just to get the lay of the land. On the way back to the airport you could bring some people and check in the luggage. We do it all the time. We often go elsewhere for lunch after we have put our bags in as our flight usually leaves in the evening. So making to two trips if that works is a no brainer.

You picked a lovely spot. The beach is nice and sandy -- have a great trip!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
132 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Thanks Retrip,

I thought about using 2 cabs from the airport to the hotel and back... but this could easily total 100$... So I am now flirting with the idea of renting a 9 seater van from Andy's. (500$ for the week).. looks like the way to go! I've already experienced driving on the left side of the road in Turks and Caicos last year, so no big deal...

Thanks for your words on the hotel and beach, i am sooo relieved!

Cheers,

Pennylee

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

Good plan, Pennylee!

Hill NH
Level Contributor
131 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked at Cayman Reef Resort, any input appreciated!

We stayed at the Cayman Reef Twice and It was very nice.The beach was not rocky at all. I would recamend renting a car its so worth it ,Then you can come and go as you please.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach