We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry

Hartford...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry

How are the deals on jewelry especially watches.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry

In general, Cayman is not a shopping destination. You will find better deals here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry

Unless a shop is doing a particular closeout deal on a brand/line of high-end watches, which can happen anywhere. Unless you get a great deal, which is not likely, I would just buy what you want at home

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry

I agree Cayman in general is not a shopping destination.... but like any cruise port, Cayman has a lot of international jewelry shops and some of the bigger ones sell some of the finest watches that you can find anywhere in the world. They even have some special/limited edition watches with the TAG Link Stingray edition and the Oris Kittiwake Watch (only 500 ever made). All the Rolex models and everything in between. Watches are also Duty Free, which not everyone is aware of.

I don't even wear watch - but a buddy of mine has a 100+ private collection of luxury watches and he buys them all in Cayman.

check-out:

http://www.kirkfreeport.net/

and

http://www.islandcompaniesltd.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry

Experiences may vary but I collect fine timepieces, and the only one I ever bought in Cayman was an impulse purchase on my birthday. As a visitor, you'd be taking the watch back to the US with all paperwork and boxes, so you'd be liable to pay duty on it should it be found at customs (I believe US allowance is $800 in goods). If you factor that in, it actually becomes a bad deal to buy in Cayman unless you're getting a huge reduction off RRP

It all depends on what kind of watches we're talking about. If you are looking at Audemars Piguet, Franck Muller, Roger Dubuis, Patek Philippe etc. the best place would be New York. Lots of boutiques and choice. Do some price comparisons on particular models between online, physical stores in the US and the shops in Cayman, prices can fluctuate wildly

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry

The Doxa my husband wanted was not available on the island. The one a step down was for the same price as I purchased the watch the one he wanted for in the States. I would buy at home. When my mom and dad used to travel he used to buy her something from each place. The "emerald and diamond" ring I inherited was a piece of junk and I am only glad that my parents never knew that. I would buy at home.

P.S. My mom's ring did not come from GC but it did come from one of the chains that caters to tourists throughtout the island.

6. Re: Jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:40
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach