We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

Haddonfield, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

We are between the two for a March trip. Is snorkeling better at one than the other? We have 2 kids ages 6 and 8, so kids on beach to play with would be wonderful. Walking to meals would be nice too. Do they both have ample umbrellas. I burn easily. What do you think? Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

Snorkeling is better near the Renaissance, but you can't walk from there to restaurants. A car is definately recommended if you stay there.

At the Meridian, you are in a busier area, but it is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, a supermarket, etc. The snorkeling is not great though. You can still see fish and might be lucky enough to see a stingray or sea turtle if you snorkel there, but otherwise, you're just looking at the sandy sea bottom, which is not so exciting. The governors house (north of the Ritz) is probably the closest "good" snorkeling area.

I think both resorts have umbrellas, and the Renaissance has lots of shade from palm trees on both ends of their beach. The Meridian has palm trees and palapa huts for shade too, so I don't think it is a major problem at either resort. March is a really busy period though, so its always best to get to the beach early to get your pick of spots.

I personally prefer peace and quiet, so the Renaissance would be my pick, but if you prefer to be closer to restaurants, the Meridian would be the better choice.

Crowley, Texas
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

If you are open to suggestions, check out Christopher Columbus Condos farther up 7 mile beach. It is older - maybe 1980's, but the units are very well kept and up to date. Lower floor has direct beach and pool access and because it is older it has more beachfront than Meridian/Rennaisance with lots of palapas and perfect sand. Very good snorkeling a short distance off the beach to boot. It is also considerably less expensive. Google them and check out their website.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

Have only stayed at Meridian and liked our stays. There are larger huts on the beach so you can get out of the sun. I can't recall specifically if there are umbrellas but check their website because I'm sure you'll see them in photos. Lots of restaurants within walking distance too.

Miami
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

For me Meridian is the winner, hands down! Fantastic pool and the beach is as good as it gets. Also, mall is just across from Meridian with supermarket and many stores. Internet access sucks at the Renaissance even though it is a newer property. If Internet access is not important then compare further, but I had friends who stayed at Renaissance and they won't go back because of it. (Slow and unreliable)

Edited: 02 September 2012, 04:56
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,863 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

Alister N: Where did you stay? Tell us more about your trip!

Miami
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

Kiddos, thought I indicated that we stayed at the Meridian. We snorkeled at Stingray City (not sandbar) twice, ate at various restaurants including Canton Chinese restaurant (just across the street), Eats diner (great burgers), and Luca (nice food but expensive) all within walking distance. This last one was a relaxing trip and without the kids (in-laws kept them) and other than the snorkel trips we spent most of our time by the pool and on the beach. Anything else you'd like to know?

7. Re: Condo rental advice needed! Meridian or Renaissance.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:18