We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time diving

lossiemouth...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time diving

Hi there. Me and my sister are heading out to Grand Cayman in August a nd fancied trying scuba diving fr the first time. Can people please recommend who to go with so I can have a look and book something before heading out.

Thanks

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time diving

Any of the local dive shops will be able to help. I would pick one close by to where you are staying and give them a call. You really have 2 options. You can do a discover scuba course which will allow you after some training in the pool to do a shallow dive(s) or you could get go for a full certification.

B.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time diving

Booya's info is spot on. Think of diving like driving. To be licensed or certified you need to do a course and pass proficiency tests. You can do the Discover or Resort Course and it would be like driving and a fixed track or go karts -- you don't really know why and what, but they just make sure you are comfy -- limited on what you do, however a nice way to see if you are at ease. If you decide to the cert course, your two big choice of having a scuba authority would most likely be BSAC or PADI. You might go online and check them out. The only caution I would offer is that if you choose BSAC you will need to call and make sure that a dive shop has a BSAC instructor available to do your certs. Everyone has PADI so that is not a worry. We did ours originally with NAUI and it is now hard to find a NAUI instructor. This will make a lot more sense if you just google them and look at the open water certification options. If you choose doing the cert, I would pick doing the dives in GC. Scotland is beautiful but the water is freezing!!!!! I don't even dive in NY!

PA
Level Contributor
902 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time diving

I would recommend a resort course. I dove only once and it was perfect for that. My family all dives, and I wanted to experience it at least one time.

Check out Alan from Wall to Wall Diving....the best!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time diving

Agreed, if you're not sure that diving is your "thing," a resort course would be a good way of figuring out if it is.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
601 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time diving

I did a Discover Scuba course with Living the Dream Divers in June. I wanted to go that route before I decided to spend the money to get certified, and of course, caught the diving bug and got certified by my local dive shop when I returned home. Living the Dream will pick you up at your hotel or condo if you're staying in the SMB area. We did a shore dive from the Lobster Pot Dive Center. Liz was my instructor and did a fantastic job. Would highly recommend them.

lossiemouth...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time diving

Thanks of your comments....will have a look not it :)

rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time diving

We dove with Living The Dream Divers last year. We had a great time. I would suggest doing the Discover Scuba course. My son did it with them last year and they were wonderful. My daughter got her certification with them last year after doing the elearning padi option. She had done a discover scuba course the year before and was hooked.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time diving

This post is a little older, but I'll reply anyway in case you're still checking. :) Just got back from Cayman yesterday & I did a Discover SCUBA course at The Lobster Pot with Cayman Turtle Divers. Can't say enough great things about them - you can check out their reviews on this site.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time diving

As you can probably gather, everyone has their own favorite dive operator. Fortunately, nearly all of the dive ops are very customer focused and adhere to high standards. The prices are much the same, as well.

That said, I'll chime in with my favorite - Divetech. Divetech has an excellent, well respected reputation among the divemasters on Grand Cayman. The owner, Nancy Easterbrook, is one of the leaders in dive training and was inducted into the Women Divers Hall of Fame. One of the instructors, Steve Tippets, was recognized by fellow instructor DMs as Grand Cayman's Instructor of the Year for 2012. The point being, you'll have excellent instruction and guidance on your first dive.

You'll also see a lot. When you do your Discover Scuba dive, you'll likely do it as a shore dive -- or at least on a shallower reef. Divetech has two shore locations. Both are excellent. In fact, they are among the best shore diving sites on the island. I have never dove Lighthouse Point that I didn't see at least one turtle.

In any case, consider Divetech and give them a call when you get to Grand Cayman. You'll probably talk to Emma (another instructor) who is also from Scotland.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 14:05
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,740 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time diving

You really can't go wrong no matter who you use. Where are you staying? If there is an in house op use them. Otherwise go with someone close by. No reason to travel for the cores. All the ops will provide pick up, you do skills in the morning and dive in the afternoon so it is nice to be conveniently located for the break.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations