We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many cruise ships

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Too many cruise ships

Maybe I'm worrrying over nothing, but for some reason, I get this feeling with 3 or 4 cruise ships in, my peaceful island vacation is in jeopardy...... are there any nice quiet places to go when the island is innundated??

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Too many cruise ships

I stayed at Coconut Bay the last time I was there and really enjoyed the complex. Two swimming pools on site are a nice touch, although we found that the ocean was often warmer water for a swim. You are an easy walk from the Cracked Conch and Macabuca in one direction, and Lighthouse Point (dive centre and cafe) in the other.

If you rent a car, then unless you really want to walk out of your condo and right onto the beach I don't think that you will miss anything - you can make your coffee and go and sit on the low wall and watch the ocean in the morning, or watch the sunsets in the evening (although we found Macabuca better for that). Any idea if you are ocean front or one of the ones set back a little?

If you are divers there are two shore dives off the complex - Hep's Pipe and Hep's Wall which, if the currents are cooperating, they say are two of the better dives on the island (I haven't done them yet, so can't say from personal experience). There is a dive op resident on the site, and he had tanks and weights available at a cut price for folks staying in the condo in order to make shore diving more convenient).

You are definitely "far from the madding crowd" there, and can save a load of money by staying off SMB. We tend to stay up in West Bay for all our trips, and have never felt too isolated.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Too many cruise ships

The only way we ever noticed the crowds was if we went into town...which we never did. It was always quiet and peaceful on northern SMB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Too many cruise ships

We go to Cayman every year. The "Cruise Ship" issue is a bit of a challenge. You just have to prepare. Yes there are days when there are 3-4 ships in port. Check the schedule. We always stay on the North side of the island to avoid crowds.

In recent years when the cruise ships are in we even avoid Rum Point. It has become a destination for the obnoxious cruise crowds.

We still love Cayman as it is one of the quietest, clean, nice places in the Caribbean. We'll be there again next month.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Too many cruise ships

perfect thank you! We are staying in one of the poolside ones, which is fine.... It is so expensive the week we are going that any chance to save a little is welcomed... what beach did you like best for hanging out and swimming for a few hours?

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Too many cruise ships

We always stay in central area of SMB. Georgetown shops/streets get quite congested when several large ships are in port, Stingray Sandbar also busy as is Public Beach, otherwise not an issue at all:-).

Louisville KY
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Too many cruise ships

We are cruising there Thanksgiving 2013. Any recommendations or tips for us? How as the weather?

17. Re: Too many cruise ships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach