We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

Novi, Michigan...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We haven't been to either destination and would love to hear some recommendations. Last few trips have been to Aruba because of the amazing restaurants and beautiful beaches. We always rent a car and are up to explore the entire island. We don't mind being in the "action" as long as it is not extremely crowded and miserable. We will be traveling with our little one (2 years old). Sticking with Marriott properties because we are using points.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

I haven't stayed at either property but have been to StT a couple of times and Grand Cayman dozens and dozens!!! I don't like StT at all. I only went back the second time for a friend's wedding. Overall I find the people in GC far more friendly from everyone from taxi drivers to servers etc. I also felt that StT was more hectic, the grocery stores below par. There were good restaurants, however, there are exceptional restaurants in GC. StT is more hilly and some of the views (for instance where the wedding actually took place at the RC) were absolutely stunning. However, the only reason I would go back is for something like a very very good friend's wedding. I will happily go to GC for any reason any time. The beach at the Marriott in GC is narrow but I believe they are planning some major renovations which include changing up the pool deck and beach bar area. If they pull back the concrete where these are presently located, the beachfront will be wider. Hope this helps!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

I would suggest that St. Kitts also be considered. Its a beautiful property as well. I will say however, if you are an Aruba fan, St. Kitts is much more laid back and Caribbean than St. Thomas and Cayman. I have stayed at St. Thomas multiple times and am less than impressed. It is a bit isolated and was showing its age when we were last there three years ago.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
739 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

Grand Cayman Marriott is not extremely crowded. You also have access to all of SMB. If you have a lot of points you can go to the Ritz- Carlton Grand Cayman. If you want to drive around, you will find that Grand Cayman is a lot safer than many of the other islands.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We went to St Thomas many years ago & although geographically beautiful, did not like enough to return as we felt it was unfriendly. Our daughter, now grown and married, went to St Thomas with her in laws in February. She said the weather was great, the place they stayed nice, but discomfortable with the overall feel of the island, they never left the complex... she is pretty fearless, yet certainly does not want to have to constantly be on guard while on vacation.

GC Marriott is a nice property, but the beach area (at least whenever we have walked by) very congested due to its small size. Know that I am talking about "high season" so this might not be as much a factor other times of the year. Yes, check your points to see how far they will go towards the GC Ritz Carlton.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
648 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We went to St Thomas last year and Grand Cayman this year. I like Grand Cayman better. Mainly because you can walk around on Grand Cayman vs. St Thomas. Seemed as though no matter where you stayed on St Thomas you had to drive to get anywhere. Roads were narrow and no sidewalks. That was a big negative for us because we like to walk. Been to Aruba too and Grand Cayman reminded me alot of Aruba.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We have stayed at the Marriott on St. Thomas and on Grand Cayman. We land in STT. every summer on our way to St. John. We catch the ferry to St. John (from STT) as quickly as possible. We don't like STT at all. Crime rate is high. Plus, the Marriott there is isolated. You would have to take a cab to go anywhere. We have also stayed at the Marriott on St. Kitts. It all depends on what you are looking for. PM me if you have specific questions about any of these islands. Good luck.

Virginia
Level Contributor
248 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We stayed at the GC Marriott during the off-season (late May). It wasn't crowded at all but the beach did get full. Their section of SMB is pretty narrow, but quite pretty. We ate in their restaurants several times and were pleasantly surprised. If you stay there, you just have to try one of their gigantic cheeseburgers on the beach. Very yummy and so decadent. We have nothing but good things to say about it.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

We just returned from St Thomas - the hotel was nice and easy pool access with a short walk to the beach. There were very few kids there and we often worried our girls (6.5 and 4) were disturbing others and their kids club only has space for 5 kids. The staff while friendly was not very helpful and did not have much for suggestions on what to do. I was glad we researched here before hand. The location of the hotel is nice for accessing other areas of the island, but with kids we were glad we had a car and carseats vs. the open air style cabs. Feel free to let me know if you have other questions.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

If you do end up going to St Thomas,the only hotel I would stay at is the only 5 star and the best by far and it's the Ritz Carlton.Perfect in every way but I would still pick Grand Cayman hands down over the two islands....

Novi, Michigan...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Cayman Marriott or St Thomas Frenchmen's Marriott?

Thank you everyone! I greatly appreciate the input! I think GC is going to be the best option for us. Can't wait to start planning! Cheers! :)

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations