We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

Knoxville TN
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

Hey gang,

Finally booked my trip to Grand Cayman...been going to Turks and Caicos the last several years but decided to venture out and try something different this year.

Anyway, we are staying 6/28 - 7/4.

Can anyone comment about the availability of umbrellas/shade/palapas at this resort? Seems that every picture I see lacks umbrellas :) Anyway, with a 2-year old, shade is a MUST for us. Should I be prepared to play the towel game and go out at 6am and save spots? I am up anyway due to the baby but not sure if that practice is also being done on these resorts. I hope not. We generally head out on the beach by 9am.

TIA!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

"Should I be prepared to play the towel game and go out at 6am and save spots"

Others can speak to the exact number of shade locations but you should never EVER have to save a spot like you described at any condo complex.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

I have no direct info about shade possibilities at CC, but if you get there and find getting shade a problem (which I really doubt) you could either:

Rent an umbrella from Empty Suitcase for $25/week: http://www.emptysuitcases.com/8601.html

or

Buy one at Cost U Less: http://www.costuless.com/store038/

Knoxville TN
Level Contributor
339 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

thanks MidwestAnnie.

Renting an umbrella would be the perfect backup plan.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

There are quite a few palapa huts at Christopher Columbus, some even large enough to accomodate a family of four. I have never seen all of them occupied and, being an early riser, have never seen folks claim them with towels in the early AM. A back up plan umbrella is a good one but I would bet you would not need it.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
734 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

You will have no trouble finding shade and there is no need to buy an umbrella. Staying at a condo is much different than staying at a hotel because the number of people staying at a condo does not overwhelm the facilities at the beach ( as happens at the Marriott or the Ritz-Carlton) .You are also coming during the off season and I doubt that Christopher Columbus will be more than 50% occupied.

Southeast
Level Contributor
28 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

We stayed at Christopher Columbus for Spring Break 2012. They were full. There were some beach umbrellas in addition to the cabanas. But, you still had to hustle to get your place in the shade. After missing out, and seeing others doing so, we started playing the towel game at first light.

I think GeorgeRob makes a good point, however. My recollection is that two to three groups of people would miss out on a shady spot. And, that was at high season. So, unless they are full, you should be OK.

Have fun!

7. Re: Umbrealls/shade at Christopher Columbus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach