We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flowers Sea Swim

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Flowers Sea Swim

Anyone else doing either the one-mile open water swim race or the new scuba mile? It looks like the weather might hold out and the current is virtually zero. While I see my chances of beating Crocker as minimal, my goal this year is to beat my better half. Good luck to all!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

Good luck to you, too, and have fun!

Edited: 15 June 2013, 14:31
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

Extremely impressive . . . wish I was there --- to cheer you on :)

Although the scuba mile sounds interesting --- do you get to go with the current or better yet have a little scooter?

Good luck!!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

We'll be over to watch the finishers! Beautiful day today

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

I still don't get the whole relay thing for the scuba race. Let me use my freediving fins and I'll do 2 miles on one tank and still get out of the water with 1000psi.

My skinny pancake feet are really what slows me down the most in open water swim races. I don't even bother kicking when I'm not wearing fins other than to keep my feet up on the surface; however, with fins on, I'm unstoppable. Maybe next year they'll have an open water snorkel race so Testudo and I can finally go fin to fin! I believe victory will go to whoever manages to not get distracted staring at all the pretty fish. Yesterday I went for a little warm-up swim between Avalon and Tiki beach and saw a flounder and a boxy fish known locally as a "tile fish." At last years swim I kept having to remind myself to stop diving down to play with the fish and saying, "c'mon this is a race!"

Mentioned in this post
Tiki Beach
Tiki Beach
310 Reviews
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

How did it go????

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

It was great! But neither of us won any prizes for a second year in a row! Finished in just over 30min and about 2 min ahead of the better half. I think the 13+ minute improvement on time was because I actually tried and (pretty much) ignored all the pretty fish although the better half saw 2 sting rays and a turtle! Probably accounts for the 2 min time difference...lol

Our goal for next year is to dip below the 30 min mark which means that, in addition to wearing the speedo and ignoring all the pretty fishies, I'm going to have to try.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

I think what you did was awesome and one of your goals was to beat the "better" half!! Congrats!!

8. Re: Flowers Sea Swim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach