We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

WOW... yep that about sums it up! We have been to Oahu, Kauai and Maui numerous times and also Cancun and Playa del Carmen. As much as we have a special spot in our hearts for the north shore of Kauai, I have to say we have never enjoyed a tropical vacation as much as we did on Grand Cayman. My hubby, myself and our 12 and almost 16 year old daughters had a blast and the Caribbean was absolutely breathtaking. We love to be in the water so the hot humid air and crystal clear calm water on Seven Mile Beach was the perfect combo for us. We loved the people, the cleanliness of the island and the secure feeling we had while visiting there. We stayed 10 nights in connecting rooms at the Westin. Rented a car, took a couple of tours and overall had a great time. Staying there is on the expensive side, we did find it somewhat more expensive than trips to Hawaii, and definitely more than Mexico, but that was really the only downside for us.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Very glad you got the "bug" - a lot of us really enjoy the place too, for a lot of the reasons that you wrote about.

The expense of the trip can be mitigated by doing the condo thing in future - you save quite a lot of money, add in some "home conveniences" but don't have to sacrifice spending time in the place. The selection is also quite large, too. It's still not going to be as cheap as Mexico, but should be competitive with Hawaii, I would say.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Part of the price comparison for trips to HI comes with the costs of the flights. For those on the West Coast, flights to HI will certainly be cheaper than for those of us in the East. I would say the reverse would be true traveling to GC. We were in Kauai in January and return to GC in December so we'll have a good feel for costs. We always opt for a condo whether we're in HI or GC.

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Yes, Hawaii is less airfare cost for us as we fly out of Portland. We also don't get less for each dollar in Hawaii as we do in Cayman. We still loved it though and if we do opt for a condo (we too usually stay in nice condos, just had a company deal in the Westin this time around) we liked the looks and location of Coral Stone.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
595 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

We will be staying at the Westin in a few weeks,were there enough beach umbrellas and was the pool pretty clean? How did you like the hotel overall? Thanks!

Willamette Valley...
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

ryanboz7 - We usually had someone help set us up with an umbrella and chairs on our way to breakfast every morning around 9:30 ish and it was no problem then. The guys there are happy to help you with that, we always gave them a tip! They will run out of umbrella's eventually in the morning so I wouldn't sleep in too late. They also have a little canopy thing that will shade 2 chairs if they have no umbrellas at some point. We did rent one on a day when we waited until afternoon to try and track shade down, it was $15 which wasn't bad at all. That is only because we like to be right in front of the ocean. The beach there is wide and there is shade from the trees if you sit a little further back. As far as the pool goes, it looked okay cleanliness-wise, I honestly was only in it for 10 minutes. I generally stick with the ocean... especially on that beach - nothing compares! If you have kids then the pool is nice because the hotel has some floatation toys that they leave in the pool, which our girls had fun with when they were in the pool. My girls generally spend a ton of time in hotel pools on vacation but they spent 80% of their time in the ocean on this trip since the Westin beach and swim area is just so nice. They have some great foam floats that you can rent for the day and we took advantage of those quite a bit. They were $11 per day and more than worth it in my opinion. The hotel was good. Nice buffet breakfast, unlimited cold water available at the towel stand by the beach which kept us hydrated! Strong wifi signal i the lobby which is quite spacious and full of seating areas. Nice gift shop and separate swimwear shop downstairs along with a little cafe that served expresso drinks, cold drinks, baked goods, basic sandwiches, soft serve ice cream etc. It wasn't super high-end luxury but it is very nice and my family loved it. Large parking lot right in front, if you rent a car like we did then you will not have a problem finding a spot close by.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
595 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Ok thanks alot for your help!

MA
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Going to the Westin in 2 weeks for 6 days. Went to the Marriott probably 10 years ago so did the stingray and Hell thing. Mainly interested in relaxing at the beach or pool for our 30 th anniversary. We dont plan on renting a car this time. Any decent restaurants with walking distance that are reasonably priced for Caymen standards lol.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/

You can use the map function to see the restaurants near the Westin, read the menus and see prices. There are many restaurants in all price ranges in that area.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

Hi Damasco1 ... glad to hear you had such a great time. You mentioned tours ... would you mind my asking which ones you took? I feel like we need one more.

We leave next Tuesday and all I have arranged so far is a snorkel trip to the coral reefs, SCUBA dives for two days for husband and two of our three kids, and a kayak bioluminscence tour. I was hoping to get the family enthused about the stingray city trip, but they're all like, "Eh."

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from our first trip to Grand Cayman! Any questions?!

So glad you had a good time! My family traveled to Grand Cayman for the first time this June and we all fell in love. I really wish we were able to travel there more often but it just isn't realistic- we will be going to Maui in January and can't stop wishing it was the caribbean that we were going to. Don't want to sound like a brat complaining that we are going to maui! - For now I will just continue to read trip reports and love vicariously through them! Happy travels