We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Georgetown

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Georgetown

Id love to do a little shopping in Georgetown. Anybody have a general idea of what time the shops open and close? Is there a website you might recommend I visit for shopping info?

Thank you all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

It depends on what you're looking for. For clothes, though I wouldn't recommend purchasing any, Camana Bay is better. For jewellery, I think GT still has the edge. I'd say the shops in GT are open from 9-5 with a bit of variation on either end

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

You will be safe to assume shops are open between 10-5. Some a bit earlier if a ship is in port. Although a few shops and services choose to close on days there are no ships, Saturday is an ideal time to visit. No ships, no crowds and easy parking.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Jewels, watches, perfume, leather bags, art, crafts, cigars, t-shirts, shots glasses and plastic stingrays... Georgetown has Camana Bay beat by a mile. As Saj says, Camana Bay if you need a new Polo shirt. The Plazas on West Bay road are worth a visit as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

A new polo shirt that costs twice as much as it would in the US, might I add. Thanks to a delayed suitcase, AMEX once gave me $500 to spend and the only place I could go was NKY. It bought me 3 polos, a pair of shorts and some undergarments...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Awesome! Thank you guys. I think I may be more interested in jewelry, purses, art etc. (things that I would keep longer than clothing)

@sajidgidda I see you mention Camana Bay as a place to shop as well. I was not aware so thank you for the tip. Any other places that I should check out please let me know.

@Papermans Plazas on West Bay road, got it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Camana Bay has a couple of clothing stores, a beachwear store and possibly one other. It's fine for shopping in a pinch but I can't think of any reason why a tourist would want to stop there. 'Duty Free' watches in GT are different but then again, if you know what you want you can usually buy it for the same price in the US. The only real bargains are on unpredictable special offers or store closeouts

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

I prefer Camana Bay to GT. You don't get bombarded by the cruise ships and the space is beautifully done. I do love Pure Art and the shop that sells the old coins, silver, etc. (hopefully someone can fill in the name :). If you do go to GT stop and have a nice lunch at Cayman Cabana, My Bar at Sunset House, etc, have a nice view of the harbour and then head to the shops are the crowds are leaving.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Totally agree. Save shopping in GT until after a late lunch. Hot, sweaty, sunburned cruisers flock to the air-conditioned stores near the harbour area during the day. Listening to parents yelling at their kids that, "we're in here to cool off!" kind of ruins the mood when you're shopping for a nice pair of earrings or other jewelry.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Second Retrip's suggestion of Pure Art. I pick up art on each of my vacations, and Pure Art has the best selection. Our first trip there, we went to the other place Retrip mentioned, with the old coins, artifacts, etc. They, too, had nice art. I think they closed, though!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Georgetown

Oh no!! Glassblowing Factory is gone as well now!! We bought some lovely pieces at the "old coin shop". Anyone have an update?