We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Hello,

My family would like to visit Grand Cayman (Seven Mile Beach) in March 2014 during the kids spring break and I am trying to decide between a condo and resort for our family of six (2 adults, 4 kids). Pros/Cons would be helpful in helping in this decision. Our family is very water friendly and will probably be outside A LOT more often than indoors.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), it's about the same cost to fly to the Caymans as it is to fly to Mexico from Wisconsin... so we are trying to decide between the two.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. :)

Oakville
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Condo for sure IMO. Tons of pros in your situation. Number one would be not having to go to a restaurant 3 times a day with 4 kids. And the condos on SMB are just amazing. I can send you a video of where we stayed.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

That would be great! I'm assuming we can walk to a grocery store, or are grocery stores far and few between?

We just came from a vacation in Bora Bora in March and we aren't sure what to expect in the Caymans.

New Hope...
Level Contributor
727 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Renting a condo is the best way to go. I agree, the cost of eating out 3 meals a day would be very high. Also, a condo gives you more space to stretch out. The condo beaches are usually less crowded during a peak time such as spring break, than hotels.

If you are staying on Seven Mile Beach, the supermarkets will be close by. Most condos on SMB are probably within 1 mile of a supermarket. Most restaurants are 10-15minutes or less by car.

One of the major differences between Cayman and Mexico is that you can travel around Cayman in a car (or take the public bus) and not worry about crime. You can also walk down the length of SMB without being bothered by beggars, buskers or hawkers.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Thank you for the information GeorgeRob9... very helpful, thanks. Would you recommend renting a car during our stay? Would we get much use out of it, other than getting groceries or eating out?

New Hope...
Level Contributor
727 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

It depends on what you want to do. if you just want to stay on the beach, you may not need a car. It also depends on which part of SMB you are staying. If you want to travel around the island go to the turtle farm, Georgetown or Rum Point, a car would be good to have. One of the nice things about a Cayman vacation is that you are not stuck at a hotel, you are free to explore the island if you want.

Taxis can be expensive. The cost to go from the airport to condos on SMB is $20-30. If you want to go to a restaurant in West Bay or Camana Bay from the SMB area, you may have to pay $20 each way.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Okay, interesting information, thank you. Is it correct that you can rent a car (or in our case a minivan) at the airport?

Thanks again for your help! :)

New Hope...
Level Contributor
727 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Yes. The car rental offices are a few hundred feet from the airport terminal. If you are renting a minivan during the spring break season, I would suggest reserving in advance.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 00:30
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Thanks again GeorgeRob9... can anyone tell me if Harbour Heights, Discovery Point, or Tamarind Bay would be preferable? We would like to do a lot of snorkeling off the beach and it would be awesome if good snorkeling were close by.

Thank you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
102 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

Hello!

You should check out Casa Caribe condos (located on seven mile beach). My family of six stayed in unit # 3 in June. This complex tends to get overlooked - but it was PERFECT for our family. 3 bedrooms- 5 beds. The swimming pool is nothing to get excited about but you have direct access to the beach. Also, the complex is walking distance to the grocery store. Your family will LOVE Grand Cayman (no matter where you stay)- but make sure you go to stingray city - its fantastic!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo or Resort ~ Family of Six!

We have stayed at Discovery Point 3 times and love it there, but you will want a car (or minivan) to go to dinner or the grocery. Neither are in walking distance. DP only has 2BR units to my knowledge. You might want to look next door at Christopher Columbus condos. They have 3 BR units. Water entry is much easier at CC. I have never been impressed with the snorkeling at either place, but I'm a diver. I go to Grand Cayman to dive. We go to St John, USVI for snorkeling from the many beaches. Renting a condo in central SMB area will allow you to walk to restaurants & grocery. I also recommend going to Sting Ray City. You can make arrangements to be picked up at your condo when you make reservations for the tour, usually at no charge if you are staying on SMB.

One of the experts here on TA has a snorkel guide (do a search), but you will need a car (minivan) to get to most of them.