We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler!

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo traveler!

I'm getting ready to leave for my first trip to GC and my first vacation alone. Little nervous that I will be lonely, plus a few nagging worries about safety, although I picked GC because it is comparatively supposed to be very safe. Right ??? Any advice or things I could do while alone for 3 days? I plan to horseback ride one day.

Thanks!

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
270 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveler!

Hope it helps to know that it is a safe and friendly island. Are you staying at a resort? Bring a good book and lots of sunscreen. The beach is gorgeous. What kind of things do you enjoy? Ive never done the horseback riding so cant comment. Ive enjoyed many trips to Stingray City. Good luck! If you have specific questions, Id be happy to answer.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveler!

I'm staying at a resort on seven mile beach. I'm pretty content just to lay on the beach so if the weather is good I'll do a bit of that. Was also looking at a stingray tour

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveler!

definitely do a stingray tour

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveler!

You shouldn't worry. Cayman is very safe and the people are friendly. Agreed with others about a snorkel trip including a stingray stop. Visiting Barker's on horseback is one of the best way to explore Cayman's only national park.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveler!

I spent 10 days alone on the island, and felt very safe. Of course, I took the "usual" precautions: not walking alone in darkened or unpopulated areas, being aware of my surroundins, etc.

If you are interested in exploring the island, despite your limited time, you might want to look at Cayman Safaris:

http://www.caymansafari.com

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveler!

We feel very safe there. We let our daughter when she was 16 go as an intern to work with handicapped divers. She moved there permanently when she was 21. I have been many many times as a solo and never felt differently than I do in my own home. I have riding there with two different groups. I try not to knock ops if I've only been once or twice as it just may be an off day. One experience was not good, the horses were not that well cared for same with the tack (we have horses so we see stuff that is off a bit). Second trip went with Coral Stone. From the second the horses were being unloaded off the trailer you could see that they really well conditioned, tack clean, etc. We did the ride with the horses actually swimming -- just ears, eyes and nostrils out of the water. Absolutely amazing amazing experience and we do it again in a heart beat! Good luck.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveler!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm feeling better. :) I booked horseback riding through Nikki's. Has anyone had experiences with them? Retrip, I hope that's not where you had the bad experience?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveler!

philos --- sent you an IM.

9. Re: Solo traveler!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach