We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott??

Peoria, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Marriott??

We are planning our first trip to GC in April. My husband and I are attending a conference being held at the Marriott. We are debating whether to stay there or another beach front property within walking distance since we are not planning to rent a car. Are there any accomodations you would suggest? We are also celebrating our anniversary and it will be our first trip without kids in 7 years. Since we don't get away very often, I would like a higher end resort for a little pampering. We love relaxing on the beach and plan to spend most of our time there. So, I am concerned about whether the beach at the Marriott will be too crowded to be relaxing? Thank you for any ideas or suggestions!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott??

As a beach lover, I would find Marriott Beach extremely disappointing. It is small and very cramped every time we walk by with virtually not 2" of space between lounge chairs. I do not know if Marriott permits guests to move beach lounges to the sand area south of their property (in front of adjacent property) where we seldom see anybody on the sand. You could ask, and if so, Marriott will be nice in all other respects.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott??

When your neighbor packs people on to a tiny strip of beach like sardines, you make sure they don't encroach on your piece of paradise (i.e. why the Marriott beach is packed and the condo beaches on either side are empty).

Given your interest in a higher end experience, why not check out some of the condos near the Marriott? This way you could get to/from your conference each day by walking down the beach.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott??

You can use the Cayman Good Taste map to see the condos, hotels and restaurants that are near the Marriott:

www.caymangoodtaste.com/interactive_map.asp…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott??

I would NOT stay at the Marriott if you are a beach lover. Try Regal Beach condo next door with wide expanse if beachfront + a kitchen which means breakfast & lunch in your unit. Much nicer!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott??

The beach where the Marriott is located is narrower than other parts of SMB. The central section has the widest sandiest beachfront. The whole of SMB is only 5 1/2 miles long anyway. You could stay at the Beachsuites since you want a more hotel like experience which is a short walk further north toward the best section of beach. They have a very nice bar (Sidebar) and a lovely restaurant (Hemmingways) as well as a nice swim up pool bar. If you do get a little one on one time away from the group, the setting at Hemminways would be lovely for a nice romantic dinner overlooking the sea and there are many places within walking distance for your other half to stay busy while you are at work. While I often recommend a condo especially for a family, it sounds if you are not looking to cook etc. There is a little kitchen space for snacks and small food prep at the Beachsuites and there is an excellent watersports shop located on the property. It is the same as the group at the Marriott so you could easily run a tab. Afterall you don't need to have the people at the conference coming over to hang out on top of your space on the beach during the downtime!

NYC
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott??

No kids, looking to be pampered, you should stay at the Ritz Carlton. Its maybe a mile walk to the Marriott. I don't agree with some of the other posts.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott??

I suggest the Ritz as well. We stayed there last year (after having stayed at the Marriott each year for 3 years), and we're returning to the Ritz again in a week. The Ritz is now our go to place on Cayman. Love the attentiveness and extra perks from the staff. The beach is wide and the pool s and fitness center are first rate.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,709 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott??

I am in total agreement that the Ritz would be a great option for you - far more pampering, and an easy walk to where you need to be at the conference.

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott??

According to Google's walking directions, it is 2.1 km (or 1.3 miles) from the Ritz to the Marriott.

10. Re: Marriott??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach