We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

I'm considering taking a taxi to & from the airport to SMB. We are staying at the Confort Suites.

I'm considering taking the bus to Rum Point & on another day to the Turtle Farm. I will be traveling with a toddler. I have a few questions:

How long will it take from the hotel to Rum Point & to the Turtle Farm?

What are the car seat requirements?

Do they have AC?

Any recommendations? How much will a taxi cost?

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

I rode the #8 bus between Rum Point and George Town last November. When I took the bus, the windows were open and no AC – not sure if this is always the case. The busses are special vans; the one I took held 13 people and we were all sitting close together on bench seats. No place for child restraints. It is quite possible you would have to wait (along side the road and at the bus terminal in George Town) for at least 45 minutes to over an hour. I would NOT recommend relying on the public bus (especially with a child) to get to Rum Point. Here is my report of the trip:

tripadvisor.com/…54355980

I believe someone noted the one-way cost of a taxi to Rum Point in the above thread.

Bus service along West Bay Road (i.e. between Comfort Suites and the Turtle Farm) is much more frequent and regular. I have not used it, but I am sure others who have will chime in.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

Agree that using the bus to Rum Point is quite impractical, especially with a toddler. The cost of a taxi each way would be cost-prohibitive as is listed at US $72/way between the airport and Rum Point,. You'd likely have to prearrange a pick-up time at Rum Point as taxis generally don't hang out there so you can't just count on getting one at the last minute. You could rent a car for a couple of days and explore on your own for less than it would cost for the round-trip taxi ride.

Going to the Turtle Farm via public bus is much easier and those have done it will likely provide more details. Check out the information on using public transportation on the right under "Top Questions".

Edited: 12 February 2014, 15:01
Grand Cayman...
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

Between Comfort Suites (or anywhere else on SMB) and Turtle Farm the public minibus service is an easy and inexpensive option, US$2.50/person each way, frequent buses along that route all day, and only takes somewhere around 15 - 20 minutes or so. #1 and #2 buses go to Turtle Farm - those are the two routes that travel the SMB road. Turtle Farm also now has a free courtesy shuttle bus to and from the major SMB hotels - Marriott would be closest to you, just next door to Comfort Suites. The Marriott concierge can tell you pick-up times.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

Thanks everyone!

CayManTA- thx! I'll look into it!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

We just got back from the Comfort Suites. The free Turtle Farm shuttle comes right to the Comfort Suites, the schedule is posted in the lobby. There were at least 2 and possibly 3 pick-up times through the day, but as the Comfort Suites is the first pick-up/last drop-off for the shuttle, transit time was about an hour. We decided to take the public bus instead, which worked out great. The busses run every 10-15 minutes, and our group of 8 got into one after waiting about 2 minutes. The buses can be flagged down, but you need to keep your eyes open as the ones we took just looked like large passenger vans. Transit time to the Turtle Farm was about 15 minutes. On the way home we waited about 10 minutes, and there were three families waiting for the bus. We split up to fill the first bus, and the second half of our group waited another 5 min for the next bus. Our kids are tweens, so flagging down a bus and waiting around was no problem, but it's different when you're traveling with a toddler.

Denver
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

I wouldn't take the bus to rum point. we were on a bus and asked about going to rum point. The driver informed us that most of the busses don't go out there and we would most likely have to get a taxi. Got off the bus halfway there. Had a great time exploring but we never made it to rum point. If you are staying longer that a day I saw somewhere on line where you can catch a free ferry in the evening time to rum point. I would check that out if you are there in the evening.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

" I saw somewhere on line where you can catch a free ferry in the evening time to rum point "

That is in conjunction with dinner at the Rum Point restaurant. Otherwise, not an option.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

The ferry to Rum Point restaurant is operated by Red Sail. You reserve with them & they make your dinner reservation at the restaurant. The 45 minute sail is delightful and free! The catamaran is roomy and has a cash bar. Going to Rum Point during sunset and returning under the stars sure beats the long drive

9. Re: Public transportation to Rum Pt & Turtle Farm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach
Recent Conversations