We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Grand Cayman

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Grand Cayman

Staying at 7 mile beach resort. Wondering if we will be dealing with the timeshare sharks? At the airport, walking down the street, etc.

Is the water safe to drink or do people use bottled water?

Anything else you want to comment on would be great. We will be there Mar. 22-29.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 14:54
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

In a nutshell, this isn't Mexico. There are no people wandering around hassling tourists for timeshare or anything else for that matter and the water (although unappealing in flavour to some) is perfectly safe to drink.

Hope that eases some of your concerns. Let us know what else you're wondering about.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 15:41
White Bear Lake...
Level Contributor
121 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

There is no problem with water on the island, If you are staying at the Seven Mile Beach Resort and Club (next to Comfort Suites), your condo's refrigerator will deliver filtered water. Note : all of the following comments apply to Seven Mile Beach Resort and Club. Since we are owners there, we don't get bothered by any pitches to purchase more weeks; even 15 years ago, they were pretty low key about any sales pitch to buy (we bought back in 1996 and they were low key then). Though we haven't done it, the office has beach umbrellas that you can get for the week but there is a limited supply of them. The resort has a poolside BBQ on Monday nights if they get enough folks interested. When we were down there in Nov 2013, it was catered by Champion House II (we didn't participated but were down by the pool during the dinner and it looked good). They have 2 gas grills available for your use. While the condo is not directly on the beach, there are chairs available at the beach for your use. If you are not planning on getting a car, take note that the condo does a grocery store run on Sat and Mon mornings for the guests. (we always rent a car, so we have never gone on the grocery store trip with them). They also run a snorkel and stingray trip. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will see if I can answer them for you.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

In addition you won't find people selling you things on the beach - that's illegal on the islands. Very, very different to a lot of the other Caribbean destinations.

cayman islands
Level Contributor
155 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Hi, Since your original question has been answered so well I'm not going to add anything to that. I thought I would give you a heads up on gratuities in restaurants since it's a good thing to know. Most restaurants in Grand Cayman add an automatic 15% gratuity, so check your bill, it will say whether grats have been added or not.

The water is totally fine to drink.

Bring lots of sunscreen, sunglasses and aloe, it's hot and bright on the beach.

Relax, enjoy, I hope you love it.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Thanks to everyone, especially Jo for all the detail. I knew some of the things through reading . We mostly spend time in Mexico, although we have visited other Caribbean destinations. We like small local eating places. I have been reading about them, too, but would love your input. We will be doing a lot of our own cooking, but always want to try local flavors. We are budget conscious and rarely do any type of formal dining. I am sure we will get our eyes opened up on food prices, but we had this opportunity to go and grabbed it since the Caymans were on our "list". LOL would love to hear any if your "must dos". I will venture that this will be our one and only trip. We love walking the beach, relaxing and DH will be diving.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 16:45
Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

I have visited GC on several occasions and it remains one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean archipelago. I like anything nature and always visit the turtle farm to be reminded of Caymanian efforts to help preserve the various species. Also, if you have the opportunity to drive, or be driven, head out to Rum Point for a few hours of some of the most beautiful water and sand you will see. Personally, I think it is more beautiful than seven mile beach. For me, those are must-sees.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

Check out caymangoodtaste.com to see restaurant menus. Huge variety of restaurants on the island at various prices. I love getting patties for lunch or snacks - quick and cheap and yummy - even ones at gas stations! Sunshine Grill, Eats/Legends, nightly specials at Guy Harvey are all very reasonably priced. I also thought the hot food buffet at the grocery store had lots to choose from too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

I absolutely agree about both the hot buffet & the salad bars at the supermarkets, especially Kirk which will be the closest to your resort. Also, you will want to walk the short distance into town & buy fish from the guys selling it right by the harbour. Everyone knows where they are, just ask. Very reasonable & right out of the sea. As far as *must dos*, I would say to contact Red Sail and book their free sail to Rum Point for dinner. They will pick you up at your resort, take you to the dock and you will sail about 45 minutes to Rum Point on their catamaran during sunset. Once there, you are free to order from the menu....no minimum required. Then sail home under the stars & they will return you to your resort. It is a great experience!

GC
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
666 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

For information on the water, here is a link to the company that desalinates and distributes the water in the SMB area. They are traded on the NASDAQ

www.cwco.com

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time to Grand Cayman

I believe that the Rum Point dinner sail leaves from the safehaven dock. I was under the impression that you got there on your own.

redsailcayman.com/free-catamaran-ferry-to-ru…

Edited: 22 February 2014, 22:10
Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach