We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does a place like this exist?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Does a place like this exist?

I'm looking for a place to stay on SMB, with the following:

1. condo, resort or stand alone

2. on the beach, soft sand not rock

3. pool in complex - I'd prefer it not look like a cheap apartment (with the plastic strapped loungers, small rectangular pool that holds all of 10 people, etc)

4. walkable to surrounding restaurants or stores

We can spend up to $500 night, I'll go higher if need be. When I look at pics from the places on VRBO, etc - I'm finding we can have a nice beach or a decent pool, but can't seem to find a good location with a nice on-site pool. While on vacation, I don't want to be sitting on cheap plastic furniture all day, then walk away with strap marks on my backside when I'm done sitting in the sun - :)

Has anyone stayed at a place that might fit the bill for us?

tks

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does a place like this exist?

Love - your $500/night is for what time of the year? Rates vary greatly between high and low season, with low season often having specials that give a night or two free. Providing the detail of how many people (what sized unit you need) will also help people narrow down their suggestions.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 22:06
San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does a place like this exist?

Oh gosh, sorry - we'll be going the first two weeks of July. It will be my family of four, the kids are 16 and 17. Two bedrooms would be preferred so we don't have to deal with a fold-out. My current plan is to fly into Nassau and surprise the kids with Atlantis for three days (not my cup of tea, but they'll love the water activities as the resort), then head over to GC for some relaxation. I do realize that I will need to fly back to Miami then over to GC as I can't find an airline that flies between the two of the locations.

Seekonk, MA
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does a place like this exist?

We are renting a place on SMB in April that sounds like it might be just what you are looking for. However, I have not been there yet so I cannot give you any first hand recommendations on the condo or the area, but you can take a look. It is very close to the Marriott, so there is lots to do, but the beach is private so it looks like it is much quieter that the busy Marriott scene. http://www.vrbo.com/347510 Good luck in your search, have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does a place like this exist?

In July, there are many two and three bedroom condos that would suit all of your needs and are within your price range. For both value and contrast to the huge resort you're coming from, I would suggest looking further North on SMB and renting a car. Even if you stay in central SMB, I'd still suggest renting a car, even if it's just for a few days to explore the island.

Also, check with the complexes directly. Christopher Columbus, The Anchorage, Harbour Heights, Plantana, and others should all be in your price range. Central SMB might be a little over your budget but will give you more options in terms of walking to restaurants and retail shops.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does a place like this exist?

British Airways flies from Nassau to Grand Cayman on Tues, Wed, Fri and Sat late afternoons.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does a place like this exist?

Wow, that's great information - THANK YOU!!!

Macomb, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does a place like this exist?

Although the condos at the northern end of SMB will meet, as noted above, most of your needs, they are not within walking distance of restaurants, water ops and stores. You might also look at some of the condos near the other end of SMB also:

http://www.caydirect.com/resorts/

You can see the location of condos, restaurants, etc by googling "Grand Cayman map."

Indiana
Level Contributor
247 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does a place like this exist?

plantana

New Jersey
Level Contributor
179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does a place like this exist?

LoveTravelX4 - I too chose Plantana (just booked today). There are two and three bedroom units and I dealt directly with the resort (Janine) not a third party. Their website is: http://www.plantanacayman.com/

It looks like in July you can get a 3 bedroom, oceanview for $430 per night or the 2 bedroom units are even less! Plus they are offering the 5th night free!

10. Re: Does a place like this exist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:15