We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in cayman

overland park kansas
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time in cayman

Hi. is it worth a trip to rum point? We are staying at Beachcomber on 7 mile. What do they have on that side? We have a 7 year old boy and adult girls. Just curious...

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in cayman

In my opinion, Rum Point is worth a day trip if you will have time to hang out at the fabulous beach there. Or alternatively, you can book with Red Sail for the complimentary catamaran sail to Rum Point for dinner. Your meal is a la carte, the sail is free.

Yes, I think that Rum Point is worth the trip from SMB.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in cayman

If you head over to Rum Point, make a stop at Starfish beach which is about 1 1/2 miles away.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
5,257 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in cayman

Yes, it is worth it. Be sure to determine how many cruise ships are in port b/c Rum Point Beach and restaurant extremely crowded during hours when cruisers are there! It has been a few years since we took friends there and neglected to check the port schedule. BIG mistake! I think, even when ships are in port, cruisers begin to filter out by about 2 PM.

White Marsh...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in cayman

In my opinion, yes. It makes a nice day trip and you get to see another part of the island. We also stay on SMB. Last summer we got up early and headed out to Rum Point. We spent several hours at Rum Point. It's beautiful there, but then again isn't the whole island?!!! Later in the afternoon we headed over to Starfish Beach. We watched the sunset there. It was beautiful. Got some really nice photos. Your boy will also like looking for the hermit crabs on the beach there.

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in cayman

The Botanic Park, which is on the way, has a tour of the Iguana Recovery Program which we took our grandkids to. It's at 11am daily except Sunday.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in cayman

I've got a special fondness for Rum Point stemming from my very first trips to GC. It's not the quiet laid back place that it used to be, but I think it still deserves a visit. It's pretty, has good snorkeling, and if you're looking for a place to eat lunch or dinner it's a good choice.

If you aren't planning on lunch or dinner and want to really get away you could go up to Barkers National Park, which is at the very east end of the NW tip of the island, across North Sound from Rum Point. Despite the name, it's undeveloped and has no facilities. In some areas you may encounter some trash that's been left by others, but the area is probably your best chance to actually have a beach to yourselves. Unlike Rum Point, it's not a place to go for the snorkeling, but you'll find sandy beach, mangroves, and Australian Pines. On windy days you can also expect to find kite boarders.

7. Re: First time in cayman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:19