We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With A Condo

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help With A Condo

I have been looking at renting a condo at Cayman Reef Resort, but I am somewhat nervous about various posts that have been made regarding noise coming from Royal Palms bar at night.

We are looking for a 1BR condo in the range of $200-$300 per night in either June/July. We would prefer to be on 7 Mile Beach. We won't have a car but we have no problem taking the bus or even getting in a taxi if necessary.

Can anyone recommend places other than Cayman Reef Resort that might not present a possible noise issue?

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With A Condo

You could look at the Retreat at Rum Point. There are some one bedroom units there in that price range. We stayed in Unit 15 over Spring Break and thought it was fantastic! I slept great there. Even though the Wreck Bar, etc. are a short walk away, Unit 15 is on the other side of the complex and we never heard any noise from there, even on the Beach BBQ night. There was some fence construction next door to the a Retreat. I can't confirm, but my understanding is that the developers can't get enough support for the project, and do some small amount of work every year to keep their permit alive. The fencing guys didn't cause noise that interrupted sleep, and the work was over before we left with no further activity next door. Anyway, it is worth checking out. We loved it there!! But it might be further from SMB than you would want given that you don't have a car...

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With A Condo

http://www.caydirect.com/resorts/white-sands

Here is one possibility. You would not be within walking distance to as many establishments as you would if you stayed at Cayman Reef, but you will have taxis and busses easily available. Nothing against The Retreat, but it is not a place I would recommend for someone who states that they want to rely on taxis and busses for transportation.

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With A Condo

I defer to Kiddos on this one. We had a car, so no idea about the cost of taxis to Rum Point or how efficient the bussing system is.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With A Condo

Agree with kiddos that Rum Point is only really an option if you're willing to rent a car. Buses are very limited and time consuming and taxis are expensive. Something like $70 one way between Rum Point and the airport. Also they are not readily available as they are in the SMB area (most people that stay on the East End or Northside/ Rum Point rent cars). To get to restaurant other than at Rum Point and Kaibo, you'd definitely need a car.

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help With A Condo

Sounds like the Rum Point area is definitely out. We also stayed at Discovery Point Club (not far from Cemetery Beach), and loved it. But I have no idea whether they have one bedroom units or how much they cost. The two bedroom unit we rented was great but out of this price range. Generally, we loved the quieter, north end of SMB, so this is a great location to consider.

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With A Condo

Also, I just realized I misread your post. I thought you were looking at the Reef Resort on the East End even though you really preferred to stay on SMB. That's why I brought up Rum Point. I now see Cayman Reef Resort is on SMB... Sorry for the confusion and for getting everyone off topic!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With A Condo

I live at Cayman Reef but thankfully in a unit where we don't hear noise from Royal Palms. That being said, i know it's a problem in some units so a number of beachfront condos joined forces in a complaint to the liquor board. Finally success! Decibels are now measured everyday and there is a noticeable improvment I'm told from both Royal Palms and Calico Jacks. www.compasscayman.com/mobile/story.aspx…

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help With A Condo

Plantana and Villas of the Galleon offer a one bedroom unit and are within walking distance to many shops and restaurants, the edge on that factor goes to Villas of the Galleon. Trying to stay centrally located, while a bit more expensive, will reduce your dependence on other means of transportation. I loved our stays in the northern end of Seven Mile Beach but would you really want to rely on a taxi or bus just to buy groceries? Many properties offer a free night or two in the summer season which helps, but remember to factor in the 13% tax and an often included gratuity for housekeeping and maintenance staff.

Houston, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help With A Condo

We never stayed at Villas of the Galleon, but we spent a day at the beach there with some people we met earlier during our vacation. They stay there every year and had tons of great things to say about it. The beach was beautiful. And they did mention the various restaurants they walked to.

Indiana
Level Contributor
248 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help With A Condo

Cayman reef resort will be a bad move if you want to sleep at night.

Get answers to your questions about Seven Mile Beach